"Fire-safe" cigarettes required
Published 11/27/2008, Duluth News Tribune
The first rescue Duluth Assistant Fire Chief Jim Ray made as a firefighter 25 years ago was of a woman who had fallen asleep in a stuffed chair with a lighted cigarette. “The apartment was completely overcome with smoke and myself and another firefighter carried this woman out of the building,’’ Ray said. “She was unconscious and we revived her on the scene.’’ A law that goes into effect in Minnesota on Monday is designed to reduce the need for such fire rescues.Word count: 324
The full article is available to newspaper subscribers. If you are a subscriber please log in to continue reading.