« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum staff reports, Published April 14 2014

Fargo apartment deck fire blamed on unattended smoking material

FARGO – Unattended smoking material ignited a fire Monday on a second-floor deck at an apartment building, according to the Fargo Fire Department.

Shortly after 11:30 a.m., fire crews were sent to the building at 5400 Amber Valley Parkway, near 23rd Avenue and 45th Street South. They encountered a small fire on the deck, with flames spreading up the siding.

The blaze was quickly extinguished. No people were in the apartment at the time, and a dog found inside was not hurt, fire officials said.

The fire damage was limited to the outside of the apartment, and the interior received minor smoke damage, fire officials said.

A fire investigator determined that the smoking materials that started the fire were in an unapproved container.