Forum staff reports, Published February 11 2014
List of Giving Hearts Day participants for 20141. Abused Adult Resource Center, Bismarck, provides crisis intervention, shelter and counseling to adult abuse victims.
2. ALS Association empowers people with Lou Gehrig’s Disease and their families to live fuller lives through care and support, while also contributing to research and advocacy.
3. Altru Family YMCA, Grand Forks, is a family fitness center with programs for health improvement and healthy living, youth development and social responsibility.
4. Altru Health Foundation, Grand Forks, supports charity medical care to the uninsured and homeless, the purchase of diagnostic and treatment equipment, autism screening clinics, help with travel expenses and more.
5. Alzheimer’s Association MN/ND Chapter, Fargo, promotes research, improves Alzheimer’s care and educates on brain health to prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
6. American Cancer Society – Relay for Life, Fargo, is dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem.
7. American Diabetes Association, Fargo, focuses on diabetes prevention and education and holds Camp Sioux for kids with diabetes.
8. American Gold Gymnastics, Fargo, provides instruction and competitive and recreational gymnastics to build youth skill and confidence.
9. American Heart Association, Fargo and Bismarck, helps raise awareness and prevent heart disease.
10. American Red Cross - Dakotas Region, Fargo, is a volunteer-led humanitarian organization that mobilizes critical resources and volunteers to respond in emergencies and disasters.
11. Anne Carlsen Center provides education, therapy and medical care to children with developmental disabilities in Fargo, Jamestown, Bismarck, Devils Lake, Grand Forks and their surrounding areas.
12. Arts Center, Jamestown, enriches the Jamestown area through the arts, including its gallery and venue for arts programs.
13. Badlands Ministries, Medora, is a Bible camp that welcomes all generations to be renewed in Christ.
14. Best Friends Mentoring Program, Dickinson, provides mentors for youth in need of support and encouragement.
15. Bethany Retirement Living, Fargo, provides a senior living community shaped by Christian values.
16. Big Brothers Big Sisters of Bismarck-Mandan provides successful mentoring relationships for children that change their lives.
17. Birthright of Fargo-Moorhead provides caring support for women and their babies during pregnancy and beyond.
18. Bismarck Cancer Center Foundation, Bismarck, provides financial support to programs and services that ease the burden and stress of cancer patients and their families as they receive care at the Bismarck Cancer Center.
19. Bismarck Public Schools Foundation provides funds to enhance quality of education in Bismarck schools.
20. Blessed John Paul II Catholic Schools Fargo, provides elementary through high school education through a faith community of Catholic teaching.
21. Boy Scouts of America, Northern Lights Council, statewide ND and 18 MN counties, prepares young people to make moral and ethical choices by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.
22. Boys & Girls Club of the Red River Valley provides programs and services for all young people to achieve their full potential in a safe, caring environment.
23. Boys & Girls Clubs of Detroit Lakes & Perham provides before school, after school and summer programming to youth between ages 5 and 18.
24. Caring for Children, Fargo, provides access to free medical, dental and mental health care services for uninsured North Dakota children.
25. Catholic Charities North Dakota, Fargo, provides counseling services, guardianship services, pregnancy services, parenting and adoption services, disaster response and more.
26. CCRI (Creative Care for Reaching Independence), Moorhead, enhances and enriches the lives and learning of people with disabilities.
27. Central Dakota Children’s Choir, Bismarck, inspires tomorrow’s singers by providing choral education and performance experiences for children.
28. CHARISM, Fargo, offers neighborhood support centers with after-school mentoring, tutoring, camps and other services, particularly for at-risk families.
29. Churches United for the Homeless, Moorhead, provides shelter and support to homeless people.
30. Community of Care, rural Cass County, assists seniors with services to live securely in their homes in the Arthur and Casselton areas, while also supporting their caregivers.
31. Community Violence Intervention Center, Grand Forks, assists victims of violence and promotes safety, peace and respect for all.
32. Cooperstown Medical Center Foundation funds new equipment, ensures adequately trained staff and creates a reserve fund for the hospital and Griggs County Care Center.
33. Cru, Fargo-Moorhead, connects people to Jesus Christ.
34. Cullen Children’s Foundation, Fargo, funds organizations that support children’s healthcare needs or improve the lives of children and their families who are dealing with cancer or life-threatening diseases.
35. Cultural Diversity Resources provides diversity training, an annual regional diversity conference, cultural events, youth development, interpreter services and many other programs.
36. Cystic Fibrosis Association of North Dakota, Bismarck, supports those with cystic fibrosis and their families.
37. Dakota Boys and Girls Ranch, Fargo, Bismarck & Minot, is a Christian agency serving at-risk youth in residential treatment facilities.
38. Dakota Hope Clinic, Minot, provides pregnancy, parenting and family services.
39. Dickinson Backpack Program ensures school-aged children have enough food on weekends and school breaks.
40. Dickinson State University Foundation provides an avenue through which alumni and other friends may support scholarships and other programs of the university
41. Domestic Violence Crisis Center, Minot, provides emergency shelter and empowering support to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
42. Eastern ND Area Health Education Center (AHEC), Mayville, provides health care workforce development, recruitment and retention and rural health.
43. Elks Camp Grassick, Dawson, provides a therapeutic and recreational summer camp for children and adults with special needs.
44. Emergency Food Pantry provides families and individuals in Cass and Clay counties facing emergency situations with one week's supply of healthy food.
45. Empire Arts Center, Grand Forks, promotes arts and culture in the upper Red River Valley.
46. Essentia Health Bridges Medical Center Foundation-Ada, Ada, funds medical equipment needs and other hospital special projects.
47. Essentia Health Regional Foundation, Fargo, supports the mission of Essentia hospitals and health care providers by funding special areas of need.
48. F-M Coalition for Homeless Persons provides twice-annual service fairs, non-partisan advocacy, research on homelessness in this region, educational programs and oversight of community plans to end long-term homelessness.
49. Family HealthCare, Fargo, provides medical, dental, pharmacy, lab, and radiology services to all people, including the underinsured and uninsured.
50. Family Voices of North Dakota, Edgeley, helps families of children with chronic illnesses or disabilities navigate services and resources.
51. Fargo Public Schools Development Foundation supports enhanced teaching techniques, after-school programs, scholarships, needs of low-income students and other projects otherwise not possible through ordinary education funding.
52. Fargo-Moorhead Community Theatre provides theatrical and educational experiences that enrich and engage the community.
53. Fargo-Moorhead Dorothy Day House of Hospitality provides emergency food and shelter for homeless people.
54. Fargo-Moorhead Opera provides high quality opera experiences involving local performers and international artists, including performances in schools and regional towns.
55. First Care Health Center – Park River is a critical access hospital and rural health clinic providing medical care in the Park River community and area.
56. First Care Medical Services Foundation-Fosston funds special equipment needs and other resources so that Essentia Hospital can provide the best care to people in the Fosston area.
57. FirstChoice Clinic provides pregnancy services and counseling, prenatal education and community referrals.
58. FirstLink assists people in finding community services, offers the 211 helpline statewide, provides suicide prevention and intervention, and links people with community volunteer opportunities.
59. Fraser, Ltd. provides independent living support, residential services and day services for people with disabilities; childcare services; and skill training and basic needs resources for transition-age youth with disabilities.
60. Freedom Resource Center for Independent Living, Fargo, promotes independence for people with any type of disability and at any age.
61. Gateway to Science, Bismarck, is a hands-on science center with a year-round interactive exhibits gallery for kids to explore.
62. Grace Lutheran School, Fargo, is a school of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and welcomes student of all religions.
63. Grand Forks Parks and Recreation Foundation/Grand Forks Park District promotes healthful lifestyles by enhancing parks, playgrounds, recreational facilities and programs.
64. Grand Forks Senior Center helps older adults remain healthy and independent in their homes by offering activities, nutritious meals, social interaction and more.
65. Great Plains Food Bank, Fargo & Bismarck, recovers and distributes surplus food, and forms the backbone of organizations working together to efficiently alleviate hunger in 54 counties across North Dakota and western Minnesota.
66. Haiti Medical Mission, Fargo-Moorhead, provides essential surgery, education and supplies in Haiti and service learning opportunities for people living here.
67. Haley’s Hope guides individuals affected by dyslexia through a comprehensive approach of screening, early intervention, education and advocacy.
68. Handi-Wheels Transportation, Fargo and West Fargo, provides transportation for disabled, elderly and low-income people to access medical care.
69. HEART Program, Enderlin, is a volunteer based, neighbors-helping-neighbors program that serves at home elders living in the Enderlin area.
70. HERO, Healthcare Equipment Recycling Organization collects and redistributes donated medical equipment and health supplies to benefit those in need.
71. Home on the Range, Sentinel Butte, provides a restorative living setting with healing therapy for abused/neglected children.
72. HOPE, Inc., Moorhead, provides family-friendly adaptive sports and recreation for youth with mobility challenges.
73. Hospice of the Red River Valley, Fargo, Lisbon, Grand Forks, Valley City, Mayville, Detroit Lakes and Thief River Falls, provides end-of-life care to give comfort and support for those with life-limiting illnesses and their families by attending to physical, emotional and spiritual needs.
74. Hostfest Heritage Foundation, Minot, serves to preserve and promote Scandinavian heritage, culture and values as did the founders of the Norsk Høstfest annual festival and the Scandinavian Heritage Park.
75. House of Manna, Dickinson, assists those in emergency situations with clothing, furniture, household items and other needs.
76. Humane Society Fargo Moorhead rescues unclaimed strays and places animals for adoption in lifelong homes, and prevents cruelty by educating in proper and humane animal care.
77. Jail Chaplains, Fargo, brings Jesus to jails, providing inmates with spiritual support, connecting inmates and families with local churches, and giving support to law enforcement.
78. Jamestown Regional Medical Center Foundation, Jamestown, is a hospital and health provider for central North Dakota.
79. Jeremiah Program, Fargo-Moorhead, helps single mothers with safe and affordable housing, quality early childhood education, life skills training and support for career-track education.
80. Kalix provides support services to adults with developmental disabilities in Minot, Belcourt, Rolla and Grand Forks.
81. Lake Agassiz Habitat for Humanity, Moorhead, brings people together to build homes for those who might otherwise not afford them.
82. Lake Region State College Foundation, Devils Lake, provides support for the educational programs of Lake Region State College.
83. Lakeland Hospice Foundation, Fergus Falls, provides care, comfort and support for patients with life-limiting conditions and their families in 15 Minnesota counties.
84. Lakes Crisis & Resource Center, Detroit Lakes, provides advocacy, intervention and education to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, general crime and child abuse in the Becker County area.
85. Legacy Children’s Foundation, Fargo, assists diverse students in their quest for diplomas through mentorships and other services.
86. Lend A Hand helps caring people raise more funds for families experiencing a medical crisis through resources, match funding and other tools for success.
87. Lost and Found Ministry, Fargo-Moorhead, offers support and guidance to those suffering from addictions and their families.
88. Lutheran Social Services of North Dakota prevents child abuse and neglect, provides addiction and mental health counseling and treatment, addresses community concerns such as hunger relief, the rural housing shortages and disaster recovery.
89. Make-A-Wish North Dakota, Fargo, grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions in order to enrich through hope, strength and joy.
90. March of Dimes funds medical research, continuing education for NICU staff, and educational resources to parents for babies to be born healthy.
91. Mayville State University Foundation – Nursing Program enhances the learning experiences and access to the university’s nursing program.
92. Minnesota State University Alumni Foundation supports scholarships for students and other programs of the university.
93. Minot Area Council of the Arts supports and advances the full range of arts for all ages and abilities.
94. Minot Public Schools Foundation preserves, promotes and enhances the quality of education in the Minot Public School system.
95. NDSCS Alumni Foundation – Nursing Program provides support for the school’s nursing program.
96. NDSU Department of Nursing provides baccalaureate and graduate nursing education to advance knowledge and leadership in healthcare.
97. NDSU Newman Center tends to the daily spiritual needs of NDSU students and provides a place for them to form faith-based relationships.
98. Nelson County Health Services Foundation, McVille, improves health services in the region of McVille.
99. New Life Center, Fargo, provides emergency shelter, meals, substance abuse recovery, advocacy and referral, and other services to homeless people.
100. Nokomis of The Village Family Service Center provides free- or sliding-scale child care for low-income parents, teen parents and others with at-risk children.
101. North Dakota 4-H Foundation, Fargo, secures and manages financial resources to enhance and expand the state’s 4-H program providing opportunities for youth to develop leadership, citizenship and life skills.
102. North Dakota Autism Center, West Fargo, helps children affected by autism reach their full potential through excellence in care, therapy, instruction and support.
103. North Dakota Center for Nursing, Fargo, unifies the voice of nursing across North Dakota.
104. North Dakota Family Alliance, Fargo, equips policy leaders and elected officials and institutions with resources on issues affecting families, family values and religious freedoms.
105. North Dakota FFA Foundation, Bismarck, supports the leadership opportunities and activities of the North Dakota Future Farmers of America.
106. North Dakota Safety Council, Bismarck, offers programs for traffic safety, first aid, OSHA and MSHA compliance, and other varied safety programs to reduce injuries and prevent fatalities.
107. North Dakota Teen Challenge, Mandan, is a faith-based recovery program for those struggling with substance abuse.
108. North Dakota Women’s Network, Bismarck, advances women’s issues in the areas of health and well-being, employment and earnings, political participation and other areas.
109. Northern Lights Youth Services – SADD, Hillsboro, leads in the promotion and support of positive youth development with the Northern Lights SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) program as its centerpiece.
110. Northern Plains Dance, Bismarck, is a professional ballet company and training center providing performances and dance teaching.
111. Northland Christian Counseling Center, Grand Forks, provides counseling for addictions, marriage and family counseling, and other services.
112. Northlands Rescue Mission, Grand Forks, is a Christian place for shelter, food and clothing to homeless people.
113. Northwood Deaconess Health Center provides primary care for families, care of the elderly, emergency services, health education and a full range of health services.
114. Oak Grove Lutheran School provides pre-K through 12th grade education with a strong grounding in the Christian faith.
115. Outdoor Adventure Foundation provides hunting, fishing and other outdoor adventures for youth under age 25 with cancer and other life-threatening illnesses.
116. Park Christian School provides K through 12 Christian-based education in Moorhead.
117. PATH, Fargo, provides personalized treatment foster care and family-based services for children and families throughout North Dakota.
118. Plains Art Museum, Fargo, is an accredited art museum with an extensive permanent collection, varied galleries and art education offerings to connect art, artists and audiences.
119. Prairie Harvest Mental Health, Grand Forks, promotes independence and quality of life through supportive housing and employment for adults with mental illness.
120. Prairie Learning Center Foundation supports a residential care center at Raleigh, N.D., providing education and group living for youth with educational, behavioral, delinquency or addiction problems.
121. Prescription Assistance Program - South Central Adult Services helps low-income people apply for free or reduced-cost medications through pharmaceutical companies
122. Presentation Prayer Center, Fargo, provides a place to be restored and re-energized through quiet retreats, prayer experiences and workshops offering a fuller life journey.
123. PULSE Outreach, Fargo, stages highly-charged campus events to bring the gospel to youth across America.
124. Rape and Abuse Crisis Center of Fargo-Moorhead provides crisis intervention, advocacy, counseling and prevention education services for domestic violence, sexual assault and child sexual abuse victims.
125. Rebuilding Together Fargo-Moorhead Area repairs homes and improves lives for elderly people, veterans and people with disabilities.
126. Red River Children’s Advocacy Center facilitates community response to child maltreatment for victims and their families.
127. Red River Valley Dental Access Project provides dental care for low-income patients.
128. Red River Valley Veteran’s Band is an all-volunteer band that performs American patriotic music veteran events, nursing homes and other concert settings.
129. Red River Youth for Christ, Fargo, provides Christ-centered relationships and Biblical teaching for youth in middle and high school.
130. Red River Zoo, Fargo, fosters awareness and appreciation of wildlife through the zoo, its public education programs and animal conservation.
131. Riding on Angels’ Wings, Felton, enriches the quality of life for those with special needs through equine-assisted therapy.
132. Riverside Christian School, East Grand Forks, provides a Christ-centered education with a Biblical worldview for students in East Grand Forks, Minn.
133. RiverView Health Foundation secures and distributes charitable funds on behalf of RiverView Health in Crookston, Minn.
134. Ronald McDonald House Charities – Bismarck is a temporary home away from home serving families of seriously ill children receiving medical treatment.
135. Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Red River Valley-Fargo provides a home away from home for families with children receiving medical care.
136. Ruth Meiers Hospitality House, Bismarck, provides housing and supportive services to assist homeless and low income people in achieving self sufficiency.
137. Sacred Heart Benedictine Foundation, Richardton, works together with Sacred Heart Monastery to ensure a sacred presence and space on the prairie for spiritual quiet and refreshment.
138. Sakakawea Medical Center, Hazen, provides quality hospital and health care services to the Hazen, ND, area.
139. Sanford Health Foundation - Bismarck supports the Sanford Health hospital in Bismarck.
140. Sanford Health Foundation - Hillsboro provides funds for equipment and program needs for the hospital at Hillsboro.
141. Scottish Rite Children’s Language Disorder Center, Fargo, provides children ages 2-7 free speech, language and communication therapy for their successful, productive education.
142. Service Dogs for America, Jud, trains service dogs for those with disabilities.
143. Sleepy Hollow Theatre & Arts Park, Bismarck, provides theatre and arts opportunities for youth.
144. Special Olympics North Dakota provides year-round sports training and competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.
145. St. Ann’s Indian Mission is a Catholic program serving the Matis Native American people of the Turtle Mountain Indian Reservation.
146. St. Gerard’s Community of Care provides long-term care for elderly within a Christian environment at Hankinson, N.D.
147. St. Gianna’s Maternity Home, Minto, provides a home for pregnant women in need.
148. St. Joseph’s School, Moorhead, provides Catholic education that fosters the spiritual, academic, social and physical development of students.
149. St. Luke’s Foundation, Dickinson, provides all levels of care for elderly and people with physical disabilities.
150. St. Mary’s Foundation-Essentia Health, Detroit Lakes, provides funding for medical equipment, new programming and other health services of the Detroit Lakes hospital.
151. Stephanie Goetz Mental Wellness Initiative, Fargo, provides mental health resources in schools so youth may thrive.
152. Sunshine Memorial Foundation supports programs locally and throughout the United States that focus on education and resources in areas of health, wellness, hydration and hiker awareness.
153. The Arts Partnership, Fargo, cultivates art in the community.
154. The God’s Child Project/Institute for Trafficked, Exploited and Missing Persons, Bismarck, educates underprivileged children and fights human trafficking.
155. The Perry Center, Fargo, provides housing and services to single women experiencing an unplanned pregnancy.
156. Theatre B, Fargo, engages regional audiences through innovative theatrical productions to rearrange the furniture of your mind.
157. Third Street Clinic, Grand Forks, provides access to healthcare services for low-income, uninsured people.
158. TNT Kid’s Fitness, Fargo, helps children of all abilities be physically active through gymnastics, fitness programs and other opportunities.
159. Trinity Health Foundation, Minot, assist Trinity Health in effectively carrying its mission to provide quality healthcare and health-related services
160. Trollwood Performing Arts School, Moorhead, provides high quality performing arts education and community entertainment, and serves as a community events and exposition center.
161. UND Foundation - College of Nursing provides education in the professions of nursing, social work and nutrition.
162. Unseen Ministries, Fargo, equips groups with compelling communication tools to address issues of human trafficking, hunger, poverty and orphans across the world.
163. Valley Christian Counseling Center, Fargo, provides biblically integrated Christian counseling and educational services which supplement the work of local and regional churches and ministries.
164. Women’s Pregnancy Center, Grand Forks, empowers and educates women to make life-affirming choices.
165. World Vets, Fargo, provides veterinary aid in developing countries and worldwide disaster relief for animals.
166. YMCA of Cass and Clay Counties provides fitness center, childcare, camp experiences and other programs for physical and mental well-being.
167. Youthworks, Fargo & Bismarck, serves runaway youth and provides support services to youth to meet goals for healthy relationships.
168. YWCA Cass Clay, Fargo, provides safe, temporary shelter for women and children facing homelessness, and provides supportive educational, employment and childcare services.
169. YWCA Minot provides safe, temporary shelter for women and children facing homelessness, and provides supportive educational, employment and childcare services.