« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum News Service, Published February 06 2014

Enhanced Minnesota driver's licenses can be used to cross US border

FARGO - Minnesotans can now apply for enhanced driver’s licenses that will double as passports when crossing U.S. borders.

The roughly $10 extra charge for the license gives drivers proof of citizenship and fewer hassles when crossing into Canada or Mexico.

It also helps Border Patrol agents be more efficient. Since the ID has radio frequency identification technology, agents can scan the card before the person meets them at checkpoints.

“This document allows you to drive a vehicle in the state that it’s issued or whatever agreements they have, and it can be used for entry into the United States at all land and sea ports of entry,” said Brian King of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

The ID will not serve as a passport when flying.

Minnesota is the fifth state to offer enhanced IDs, joining Michigan, Vermont, Washington and New York.