« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Ryan Bakken, Forum News Service, Published February 03 2014

Minnesotans can now apply for driver's licenses used to cross border, says U.S. Customs

Minnesota has joined four other border states in offering its residents enhanced drivers's licenses that can be used as passports for crossing U.S. borders, U.S. Customs and Border Protection said Monday.

“Before 9/11, you needed just a driver’s license or a birth certificate,” said CBP spokesman Brian King. “After 9/11, we required a passport to prove citizenship. An EDL also now proves citizenship, in lieu of a passport.

“It’s a good deal for people who don’t cross the border very often. It’s less expensive, too.”

Other states offering EDLs are Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington. The Canadian provinces of British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec also offer EDLs.