« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Reuters, Published January 16 2014

Ex-boyfriend allegedly held Minnesota woman captive for 6 months

MESQUITE, Nev. – A woman from Bovey, Minn., was allegedly held captive for six months in Nevada by a former boyfriend who threatened to kill her if she tried to escape.

Sheena Herschbach was rescued from a Nevada motel after writing about her plight on Facebook, police said Tuesday.

Her captor, Jason Greniger, 34, was arrested Saturday at the MV Motel in Mesquite, a golfing and gambling resort town 80 miles northeast of Las Vegas, said Detective MaQuade Chesley, a spokesman for the Mesquite Police Department.

Herschbach had not been physically restrained by Greniger during the ordeal and was regularly sent to a nearby store for food and beer, Chesley said.

“She had opportunities to contact police; it just took her six months to get the courage to do it,” Chesley said. “She legitimately believed that he would kill her, hurt her or hurt her family if she didn’t stay with him.”

Greniger was being held at the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas on suspicion of second-degree kidnapping and also on an outstanding probation violation warrant from Grand Rapids, Minn., stemming from a first-degree felony malicious punishment of a child conviction, Chesley said.

He was due in court Wednesday in Mesquite in the kidnapping case, which will be resolved before dealing with the Minnesota case, Chesley said.

Two of Herschbach’s five children are with their biological father in Minnesota. The three children she had with Greniger are with foster families.

Herschbach turned to Facebook to seek help after Greniger, in an uncharacteristic move, allowed her to visit a nearby public library Saturday, Chesley said.

Her post, as written, read, “I just whant to let every one know im sarry I whant to come home but he wont let me.”

Chesley confirmed the authenticity of the post, which also gave her whereabouts.

Later that day, Mesquite police were told of the post and went to the motel, where they arrested Greniger, Chesley said.

Herschbach had until Saturday been out of contact with her family, including several children, for six months and only learned of her mother’s death after being freed, Chesley said.

Connie Herschbach, 61, died Dec. 15. She lived in Bovey.

There were mixed emotions for Sheena Herschbach.

“I was relieved,” Herschbach told a Las Vegas television news station. “I was already stressed out. I then come to find out my mom passed away a month ago and it just put me down more. I wish I would have never listened to him to beg me to come back. It’s not worth the pain.”

The Duluth (Minn.) News Tribune

contributed to this report.