Forum staff reports, Published January 04 2014
Fargo firefighters called to put out machine fireFARGO – Firefighters doused a small blaze in a machine Saturday at a north-side business that makes PVC pipe.
About 11 a.m., a 911 caller reported seeing smoke and flames at Northern Pipe Products, 1302 39th St. N.
Inside the building, fire crews found smoke coming from a machine used to grind plastic into small pieces so it can be heated and formed into pipe.
It turned out that ground plastic, between the grinder and hopper where the grindings collect, was burning. Firefighters took apart that portion of the machine and extinguished the fire.
Fire officials suspect that a machine malfunction overloaded the hopper system and led to the fire.
The machine sustained light fire and smoke damage. No one was injured.