Forum News Service, Published January 02 2014
Former Chisholm priest won't face abuse chargesDULUTH - No charges will be brought against a former Chisholm priest who was being investigated on child sex abuse allegations, St. Louis County Attorney Mark Rubin said Thursday.
Rubin had been investigating the Rev. Cornelius Kelleher, a retired priest who has been removed from ministry, for possible criminal charges after the Diocese of Duluth revealed in October that the priest had been removed from the ministry after abuse accusations.
While there may have been enough evidence to bring charges, the three-year statute of limitations for the disclosure has passed, Rubin said. Two other alleged victims of Kelleher also came forward during the investigation, Rubin said.
Rubin called the diocese’s initial decision to launch a private investigation rather than contacting authorities “unacceptable.” He said he has met with diocese officials to ensure that any future allegations are brought to investigators.