Forum staff reports, Published January 02 2014
Crews fight house fire on Fargo's 8th Avenue South
At 8:20 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to 1118 8th Ave. S., and they found flames coming from the roof and eaves of the two-story home.
At the time of the fire, two of five college students renting the house were at home. Smoke detectors alerted them to the blaze, and they were outside when the fire department arrived.
In below-zero temperatures, firefighters doused flames in the attic and knee walls on the second floor. The fire damage was moderate, but there was considerable water damage. The residents of the house stayed with relatives that night.
Investigators blamed the blaze on a fire that was lit in a fireplace with the chimney blocked by roofing materials.