« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum staff report, Published December 23 2013

Trailer fire leaves Moorhead family of four without home

MOORHEAD – A fire here Monday afternoon destroyed the home of a family of four, which includes two small children.

Moorhead fire crews arrived to a mobile home fire at 1224 15th Ave. N. Lot 15 just before 2 p.m.

Fire officials believe the fire started underneath the home. Residents used a kerosene heater in an attempt to thaw frozen water and sewer lines under the home and the heater was placed too close to combustibles, according to a news release from the Moorhead Fire Department.

Insulation with paper backing ignited and spread through the underside of the home, officials said.

Raymon and Winter Pritchett and their two young children were able to escape the home. No one was injured.

The home is a total loss, the release said.

Fire crews said the well- below-zero temperatures made extinguishing the blaze difficult.

The Pritchetts will stay with friends and family for now, according to a news release from the American Red Cross Dakotas Chapter.

The Red Cross is providing food, clothing and toiletry items for the family and gave the kids stuffed animals, a Red Cross official said in the release.