« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

The Sports Xchange, Published December 22 2013

Jets grounded in Vancouver

VANCOUVER, British Columbia – Defenseman Chris Tanev’s third-period goal gave the Vancouver Canucks a 2-1 win over the Winnipeg Jets in NHL action Sunday night.

Tanev broke a 1-1 deadlock at 10 minutes, 23 seconds of the third period as he scored on a shot from the high slot.

The Canucks (22-12-8) posted their ninth win in the past 11 games, while the Jets (16-17-5) lost for the fifth time in the past seven outings. It was Vancouver’s sixth consecutive home triumph.

Goaltender Eddie Lack picked up the win in relief of injured starter Roberto Luongo, who left the game late in the first period. Lack recorded 21 saves on 22 shots for his second consecutive win. Winnipeg goaltender Ondrej Pavelec bore the loss while stopping 23 of 25 shots.

Center Brad Richardson also scored for the Canucks, while left winger Evander Kane replied for the Jets.

The Jets played only their second game in Vancouver since the franchise relocated to Winnipeg from Atlanta. The Canucks Jets last met March 8, 2012, with Vancouver prevailing 3-2.

Richardson opened the scoring on a power play midway through the first period with a mid-air deflection of a Dan Hamhuis point shot following a face-off. The goal came seconds after Pavelec robbed Vancouver center Ryan Kesler a re-direction.

Less than four minutes later, Pavel stymied Kesler again on a great scoring chance. As Kesler raced down left wing on a partial breakaway and let go of a hard wrist shot, Pavelec reached out and snared the puck in his catching glove.

Luongo left the game with an apparent groin injury with 3:30 remaining in the first period during a TV timeout. He was replaced by Lack, who backstopped the Canucks to a 3-2 shootout win in Chicago on Friday.

With just under four minutes gone in the second period, referee Ian Walsh suffered a back injury as he was inadvertently upended by fallen Canucks right winger Dale Weise along the end boards. Walsh stayed in the game but left soon after, leaving Kyle Reiman as the lone referee.

Winnipeg 0 1 0— 1

Vancouver 1 0 1— 2

First Period—1, Vancouver, Richardson 7 (Hamhuis) 10:09 (pp).

Second Period—2, Winnipeg, Kane 10 (Wheeler, Scheifele) 11:22 (pp).

Third Period—3, Vancouver, Tanev 4 (Kassian, Booth) 10:23.

Shots on Goal—Winnipeg 7-8-7—22. Vancouver 8-8-9—25.

Power-play opportunities—Winnipeg 1 of 1. Vancouver 1 of 3.

Goalies—Winnipeg Pavelec 11-15-4 (25 shots-23 saves). Vancouver Lack 6-2-0 (16-15), Luongo 0-0-0 (6-6).

A—18,910 (18,890). T—2:27.