Forum staff reports , Published December 19 2013
High Rise water damage causes $125,000 in damagesFARGO – Officials have put a $125,000 price tag on the damage caused Tuesday night when a small fire triggered the sprinkler system in the Fargo High Rise.
Lynn Fundingsland, executive director of the Fargo Housing and Redevelopment Authority, said the water from the sprinklers damaged about 20 apartments, along with hallways and common areas.
He said insurance will cover the cost of the damage and that the tenant in the apartment where the fire started will have to pay a $5,000 deductible.
Tuesday night, fire alarms went off in the 22-story building at 101 2nd St. S., which houses seniors and people with disabilities. Fargo firefighters arrived to find that the sprinklers had extinguished a fire in a 15th floor apartment.
The woman who lived there was uninjured. She told fire investigators she had left a candle burning on a nightstand and later discovered that bedding was on fire.
The blaze, which caused minor fire and smoke damage, was contained to the woman’s apartment. She was the only person displaced by the fire.
On Thursday, Fundingsland said it will take another day or two to dry out the building and about six weeks before all the damage is repaired. He said some tenants may need to be moved to vacant units while the renovation is completed.