« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Wendy Reuer, Published December 16 2013

Fargo apartment garage fire blamed on leaking gasoline ignited by open flame heating equipment

FARGO – Hannah Brown was just leaving for work when she saw smoke billowing out of the garages between apartment buildings.

She called 911 about 2:45 p.m. Monday while her boyfriend, Corbin Lucas, quickly got their vehicles out of the garages that separate DeMaio Place apartment buildings in the 500 block of 45th Street South.

Brown said after she noticed the fire, it sounded as though there was an explosion inside one of the garages.

“You could hear a big boom then (the smoke and flames) started getting bad,” Brown said.

Fire officials said three vehicles and six double garages were destroyed and four other garages were moderately damaged.

Investigators said the fire started accidentally when leaking gasoline was ignited by open flame propane heating equipment in a stall where people had been working on a car.


Readers can reach Forum reporter Wendy Reuer at (701) 241-5530