« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum staff reports , Published December 12 2013

Moorhead house fire caused by using gasoline in fireplace

MOORHEAD – A fire here Wednesday night that killed a family’s dog was started by using gasoline to start a fire in the fireplace, according to Moorhead Fire officials.

Assistant Fire Marshal Chad Stangeland said in a release that the cause of the fire at 1019 11th Ave. S., was determined an accident but the fire highlights the dangers of using gasoline to start a fire inside or outside.

Stangeland said gasoline vapors can accumulate very quickly when ignited and cause flash fires with a high probability of burning a person.

Two people were inside the house when the fire started on Wednesday and were able to get out of the house without any burns but did suffer slight smoke inhalation, the release said.

Their dog was found dead inside the home.

The house sustained heavy fire and smoke damage throughout the first floor and moderate smoke damage in the basement, Stangeland said in the release.