Forum staff reports, Published December 04 2013
Fargo police issue reminder to snowbirdsFARGO – The Fargo Police Department has issued the following reminders to those who plan to leave town during the winter months to ensure their home is safe as possible:
• Try to make the home look occupied. Connect lamps to automatic timers to turn them on in the evening and off during the day.
• Do not allow daily deliveries such as mail, newspapers and fliers to build up. Arrange with the post office to hold or forward your mail or have a friend or neighbor take them regularly.
• Arrange for snow removal for the driveway and sidewalks.
• Check the locks on doors and windows to ensure they secure properly and replace if necessary. Make sure you have deadbolt locks on all outside doors and brace sliding glass doors.
• Keep a detailed inventory of valuable possessions for free on http://myproperty.cityoffargo.com/
• Install good exterior lighting such as motion sensor lights.
• Do not announce your absence on answering machine messages and do not tell anyone who does not need to know that you will be gone.
• Consider installing a burglar alarm system.
• Notify a neighbor or your Neighborhood Watch group of your absence. If you do not belong to a Neighborhood Watch group and would like to start one, visit fargopolice.com for more information.