Forum News Service, Published December 03 2013
Zoo worker injured while training tigerDULUTH - A trainer at the Lake Superior Zoo possibly was bitten by a tiger Monday night. Or was it the fence?
It has not been determined conclusively whether Jennifer Eickhoff was bitten or if the finger got caught in the chain-link fence.
Eickhoff was working with Ussuri, a 400-pound male Amur tiger, when she noticed her right index finger was injured.
“It’s still attached, it’s just a little on the mangled side,” said Peter Pruett,
director of zoo operations. “She was in complete shock.”
The four-year veteran trainer was doing positive reinforcement training when a piece of venison got stuck on the fence and either the tiger or the fence got her fingertip. Pruett said. Lake Superior Zoo employees appeared to be very calm.
“There was no significant blood loss,” Pruett said. “It was a pure accident.”
Eickhoff was transported to St. Luke’s hospital for treatment.