Wayne Nelson / Forum News Service, Published November 29 2013
Applications coming in for UND's head football coach openingGRAND FORKS – The University of North Dakota remains without a head football coach, a position that won’t be filled until at least Dec. 11.
But applications for the position created when Chris Mussman was relieved of his duties on Nov. 18 are beginning to mount.
As of late Friday afternoon, UND had received 24 applications for the position. The application deadline is Dec. 10.
The list of applicants so far may not resonate with many UND fans. The list contains applicants from all levels of football from across the country.
Two applicants, however, have notable connections with UND than the others.
E Montana State defensive coordinator Jamie Marshall has applied. He has been the Bobcats’ defensive coordinator for the past seven seasons. From 2008 through 2012, Montana State’s defense under Marshall led the Big Sky in at least one defensive category.
• Wyoming special teams coordinator and linebackers coach Robin Ross also has applied. He was the former head coach at Western Washington, which played UND three times before the school dropped the sport a few years ago.
The application pool is expected to increase, however, as the deadline nears.
Because of the transparency that exists in the North Dakota application process, some rumored applicants are expected to hold off until shortly before the deadline.
UND athletic director Brian Faison said there is no concrete deadline in hiring the next coach, saying only the athletic department wants to fill the position as soon as possible.
Here is the complete list of applicants as of Friday afternoon:
• Dale Carlson, former head coach at Valparaiso, which lost to UND this season.
• Larry Willis, South Carolina Sports Radio Network analyst.
• Robin Ross, Wyoming special teams coordinator/linebackers coach; former head coach at Western Washington.
• David Taynor, head coach at Urbana (Ohio) University, a Division II program.
• Nick Garrett, passing game coordinator/QBs at Division II Western New Mexico University.
• Marcus Patton, defensive coordinator at Fairmont State University, W.Va., a Division II program.
• Alex Pateras, assistant coach at Ventura High School, Calif.
• Camm Richmond, last position, teacher at Mechanicsburg High School, Pa.
• Steven Smith, offensive coordinator at Albany (Ga.) State University, a Division II program.
• Seth Wallace, defensive coordinator at Valdosta State, Ga., a Division II program.
• Nicholas Siciliano, last position, offensive assistant coach with Cincinnati Bengals.
• Jamie Marshall, assistant head coach/defensive coordinator at Montana State of the Big Sky Conference.
• Robert Ianello, wide receivers coach/recruiting coordinator at the University of Kansas of the Big 12. He was also the interim head coach at Notre Dame in 2009.
• Eric Young, head coach at Division II New Mexico Highlands University.
• Robert Lancaster, former defensive coordinator at Catawba College in Salisbury, N.C.
• Ryan Held, head coach at Highland Community College, Kansas.
• Lane Powell, assistant coach at Alcorn State University, Miss., a Division I FCS program.
• Jovan Dewitt, defensive coordinator, Florida Atlantic, Division I FBS program.
• Douglas Madoski, head coach of Scottsdale (Ariz.) Community College
• Daren Wilkinson, offensive coordinator, Colorado State-Pueblo, a Division II program.
• Charles Coe, offensive coordinator, Missouri Baptist, an NAIA school.
• Michael Kelly, former head coach of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League.
• Damian Mincey, former assistant coach at Massachusetts, a Division I FBS program
• Mario Felix, running backs coach at NAIA Mid-America Nazarene.
Nelson is the sports editor for the Grand Forks Herald