« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum staff reports, Published October 15 2013

North Dakota has new tax form for same-sex couples

GRAND FORKS – North Dakota now has a tax form for married same-sex couples even though it doesn’t recognize such marriages.

The federal Internal Revenue Service announced in August that it would allow same-sex couples to file as a married couple if they were married in a state that allows such marriages, as Minnesota does, even if they live in a state that doesn’t.

For the North Dakota tax department, that posed a bit of a dilemma, according to Lorie Bowker, who oversees the department’s income tax section.

She said its answer was the form ND-1S, which was posted online at www.nd.gov/tax/indincome/forms about a week ago.