Wendy Reuer, Published October 14 2013
Man sentenced to 11 years in shooting of former MSUM athlete
As part of a plea agreement, Samuel Bullock Jr. pleaded guilty on Sept. 6 to one count of felony first-degree assault, and agreed to serve 140 months. In exchange, prosecutors agreed to drop seven other charges against that included attempted murder and conspiracy to commit armed robbery.
Clay County District Court Judge Michelle Lawson, during a hearing in Clay County District Court, agreed to the sentence for 25-year-old Bullock and banned him from ever again possessing a firearm.
Bullock asked the judge for leniency, saying he had been honest with investigators and prosecutors.
“I did willingly give you guys the guns,” Bullock said in court. “I know what I did was wrong at the time. That’s why I accepted the plea deal.”
Bullock was accused of shooting former MSUM football player Anthony Sands on March 6 after witnesses say he threatened to steal 2.2 pounds of marijuana from Sands.
After about two weeks on the run, Bullock was arrested March 23 in Beloit, Wis., and returned to Moorhead.
Prosecutor Brian Melton said the prison sentence was an upward departure from guidelines for an assault charge because of the planning that went into the assault on Sands and Bullock’s prior history.
In 2007, Bullock was convicted in Cass County District Court of gross misdemeanor robbery for demanding money from a man outside a Fargo hotel. According to court documents, Bullock said he was down to his last dollar and needed money for baby diapers.
On Monday, Bullock requested and was granted one contact visit with the mother of his 3-year-old daughter and the girl at the Clay County Jail before he is transported to a state prison.
Bullock will be given credit for 206 days already served in jail.
Readers can reach Forum reporter
Wendy Reuer at (701) 241-5530