Erik Burgess, Published October 10 2013
Despite shutdown, F-M diversion design continuesST. PAUL – U.S. Army Corps of Engineers officials say work on the proposed $1.8 billion Fargo-Moorhead flood diversion continues, despite the federal government shutdown.
Corps Project Manager Terry Williams told the Diversion Authority on Thursday that despite some furloughs, design work for the proposed flood diversion is already funded.
But Williams, communicating to the board via telephone, said their travel has been restricted, so they canceled plans this week to visit the six area cemeteries affected by the proposed diversion staging area south of Fargo-Moorhead.
The shutdown also stalled federal authorization of the project, which is required before construction can begin. The Senate gave the diversion a green light earlier this year, but the House has yet to approve.
Rocky Schneider, a diversion consultant, said there is still time to get authorization this session. If not, it would have to be reintroduced next session.
“It’s anybody’s guess what happens in D.C. right now,” Schneider said.