Meredith Holt, Published September 30 2013
Events scheduled for Breast Cancer Awareness MonthFARGO – Peppered among the black and orange of Halloween during the month of October is another color – pink.
But Breast Cancer Awareness Month isn’t just about the wearing of the pink. It’s about raising awareness and helping those who need it.
Throughout the month, there are events, benefits, fundraisers and exhibits scheduled for the cause.
Here’s a sampling:
Oct. 3: The Brazaar, Bras on Broadway’s bra-decorating event, will be held from 6 to 10 p.m. at the Fargo Civic Center, 207 4th St. N. Bring a bra to add to the Bras on Broadway chain. Refreshments will be available, and music by Heart and Soul starts at 7. For more information, visit www.brasonbroadway.com or call The Hotel Donaldson at (701) 478-1000.
Oct. 4: A dinner, silent auction and raffle will be held for Shaina Adelman from 6 to 11 p.m. at O’Kelly’s, 3800 Main Ave., Fargo. The 32-year-old woman was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer in July. Proceeds will go toward her medical bills. For more information or to donate a silent auction item, call Janell Meier at (701) 261-7822.
Oct. 10: Photographs from Meg Spielman Peldo’s “A Bra Anthologie” exhibit are on display through the month, with a book signing and reception from 5 to 9 p.m. Oct. 10, at Nichole’s Fine Pastry, 13 8th St. S., Fargo.
Oct. 11: Starting on the 11th, Cynthia J. Eggl will hold a series of book-signing/speaking events for “Boundless Blessings and God’s Grace: My Journey Through Breast Cancer”:
- Oct. 11 from noon to 3 p.m. at Offutt Concourse, Concordia College, 901 8th St. S., Moorhead.
- Oct. 19 from noon to 3 p.m. at Family Christian Bookstore, 3902 13th Ave. S. (West Acres mall), Suite 713, Fargo.
- Oct. 20 from 10 to 10:45 a.m. at Olivet Lutheran Church, 1330 S. University Drive, Fargo.
- Oct. 26 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Barnes & Noble Booksellers, 1201 42nd St. S., Fargo.
Oct. 17: A Pasties Fashion Show will be held at 9:30 p.m. at JT Cigarro, 4554 7th Ave. S., Fargo. $10 cover.
Oct. 24: Doors open at 6 p.m. for Bras on Broadway, with a welcome by hotel owner Karen Stoker at 7, at The Hotel Donaldson, 101 Broadway, Fargo. Local artists donate wearable and non-wearable art bras to be auctioned off. Bidding for non-wearable pieces closes at 9:15, wearable at 9:30. Tickets cost $100 and include two drink tickets, hors d’oeuvres and a gift bag. For more information, visit www.brasonbroadway.com or call the hotel at (701) 478-1000.
Throughout the month:
- Claudia M. Pratt’s “The sheARTS Project: Art Hats for Breast Cancer Awareness,” a collection of art hats made by regional artists and photographs by Meg Luther Lindholm, will be on display at the Roger Maris Cancer Center, 820 4th St. N., Fargo.
- “Beauty and the Breast,” a fiber-art exhibit by Vicki Kessler and Donna Kjonaas of Designing Quilters & Friends, is on display at Salon Three Five, 222 Broadway, Fargo.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Meredith Holt at (701) 241-5590