Associated Press, Published September 21 2013
Peru bishop removed amid abuse chargesLIMA, Peru – Pope Francis has removed a Roman Catholic bishop in Peru who an influential former prelate says is suspected of sexually abusing minors.
Gabino Miranda, 53, was removed as part of the new pope’s “zero tolerance” policy against abuse, the Rev. Luis Bambaren, the retired former Peruvian bishops’ conference chief, told reporters Friday.
The Rev. Percy Quispe, spokesman for the archdiocese where Miranda was assigned, confirmed his removal Saturday.
He said Miranda departed in July but did not specify the reason.
The regional prosecutor’s office said in a statement Friday that an investigation had been opened into Miranda but did not specify the subject.
The Vatican also did not respond to requests for comment on the case.
Opus Dei issued a statement on Friday saying that Miranda “denied any crime having to do with minors” but said it had very little information about his situation.