Forum wire reports, Published September 17 2013
Victim of Navy Yard shootings had Minnesota tiesSHOREVIEW, Minn. — A Shoreview woman lost her sister-in-law in the mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard.
Janet Hartsvet says Kathy Gaarde is among the 12 people killed Monday by a former Navy reservist who was slain in a gun battle with police. Hartsvet tells WCCO that in addition to her brother, Kathy leaves behind two children — ages 26 and 33. Hartsvet says her sister-in-law worked on military contracts at the Navy Yard and was approaching retirement.
In an email to The Associated Press, Gaarde's husband, Douglass, said he and his wife had been married 38 years and were just starting to plan their retirement activities. Gaarde says his 63-year-old wife was a financial analyst. The couple lived in Woodbridge, Va.
List of victims
Police have released the names of the 12 victims killed after a gunman opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday. The suspected gunman, Aaron Alexis, 34, was shot dead by police.
* Michael Arnold, 59, of Lorton, Virginia
* Sylvia Frasier, 53, of Waldorf, Maryland
* Kathy Gaarde, 62, of Woodbridge, Virginia
* John Roger Johnson, 73, of Derwood, Maryland
* Frank Kohler, 50, of Tall Timbers, Maryland
* Kenneth Bernard Proctor, 46, of Waldorf, Maryland
* Vishnu Shalchendia Pandit, 61, of North Potomac, Maryland
* Arthur Daniels, 51, of Washington, DC
* Mary Francis Knight, 51, of Reston, Virginia
* Gerald L. Read, 58, of Alexandria, Virginia
* Martin Bodrog, 54, of Annandale, Virginia
* Richard Michael Ridgell, 52, of Westminster, Maryland