« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum News Service, Published August 28 2013

Campground reopens after wolf attack

BEMIDJI, Minn. - The campground where 16-year-old Noah Graham was attacked by a wolf last weekend was again open for business Wednesday.

Ann Long-Voelkner, a spokeswoman for the Chippewa National Forest, said the West Winnie Campground at Lake Winibigoshish reopened Wednesday afternoon. Several campers had reservations, she said.

"It's a good thing that campers can come out and enjoy the campground for the holiday weekend," she said.

The campground had been closed since Saturday morning when Graham, of Solway, was attacked by a 75-pound gray wolf, according to officials with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. The wolf was eventually captured and killed, and the results of a necropsy to be performed at the University of Minnesota are pending.

Several DNR officials could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

The attack made headlines across the state, and the nation, as one of a small number of wolf attacks. A preliminary study of the wolf's carcass showed it had a misaligned jaw, suggesting it may have had difficulty catching large prey.