« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum staff reports, Published August 19 2013

Gas leak forces temporary evacuation of New Horizons Manor in Fargo

FARGO – Residents of an apartment building here had to be evacuated this afternoon when a gas leak led to flames nearby.

Fire crews were called to the New Horizons Manor, 2525 Broadway, at 2:14 p.m., Assistant Fire Chief Larry Schuh stated in a news release.

Propane was escaping from a relief valve, causing flames to jump about 5 feet above the valve in a fenced area outside the building, the release said.

Several large propane tanks were nearby. Fire-fighters were able to shut off the supply valves using a protective cover. Propane gas continued to leak after the flames went out, so residents were evacuated and taken across the street to nearby businesses.

F-M Ambulance brought units to the scene to shelter residents. Three city buses helped provide air conditioned shelter as temperatures nearly reached 90 degrees Monday with high humidity.

Residents were allowed to return to the building when the leak was stopped.

The propane company said a defective relief valve allowed propane to escape and was ignited by the igniter in the vaporizer, the release said.

There were no injuries and no fire damage.

New Horizons Manor is a 98-unit building operated by the Fargo Housing and Redevelopment Authority.