« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Wendy Reuer, Published August 16 2013

4 men arrested after breaking into Moorhead home face multiple felony charges

MOORHEAD – The four men arrested here Thursday after breaking into a home and leading police on a high-speed chase made their first appearance in court on Friday to face multiple felony charges, with one facing an attempted murder charge.

Emmanual Xavier Kennedy, 22, was charged in Clay County District Court with one count of attempted murder along with burglary, conspiracy to commit robbery, assault with a dangerous weapon and illegally having a gun.

Curtis M. Nichols, 21, was charged with aiding an attempted murder, conspiracy to commit robbery, burglary and assault with a dangerous weapon.

Ermin Adzemovic, 19, was charged with aiding a robbery, burglary, fleeing police and felony possession of a gun.

Trei Hobert Patrick Johnson, 20, was charged with burglary and conspiracy to commit robbery.

Kennedy and Adzemovic have criminal histories that make it illegal for them to have a gun.

According to the criminal complaints:

The Clay County Sheriff‘s Department and police from Moorhead and Dilworth responded to the report of a burglary at 1321 14th St. S., in Moorhead about 2 a.m.

Two men, a woman and her two children were in the house when Kennedy, Nichols, Adzemovic and Johnson arrived wearing gloves and masks.

One of the men said he was sleeping in the basement bedroom when two of the men came in asking where the cash was. When the man said he couldn’t help them, he was hit in the head with the butt of a shotgun. The man was told to get on the floor and one of the suspects pinned him down with his foot.

A second man said he was sleeping on the couch when he heard something in the basement. When he looked, he saw three men coming upstairs and one man outside. The man said he tried to hide behind the couch, then retreat to a bedroom, but was shot at by one of the men. The man said Kennedy and his brother had been coming to his house asking for money and Kennedy was angry he wouldn’t give him any.

Adzemovic said the three men told him they would pay him to take him to the home where there was a “duffle bag full of money.”

Nichols said the four men went to a storage unit in Moorhead, where Kennedy took out a gun and put it in the trunk of Adzemovic’s car.

Adzemovic then drove to the house and parked about a block away. Nichols said Kennedy told him to take the gun out of the trunk, but he gave it to Kennedy after carrying it for about a half a block.

Nichols said Kennedy struck the man in the basement, then told him to stay with the victim while he went upstairs. There, Kennedy and Adzemovic rummaged through the kitchen.

Nichols said he later went upstairs and saw Kennedy fire a single shot into the living room where the second victim was.

Nichols said the men went to the home to “scare” the man who lived there for an argument he and the man had, and because of a fight the man had with Kennedy’s friend.

The woman, who was sleeping in the basement with two children, called 9-1-1.

Kennedy and Johnson did not talk to officers who responded.

When the men drove away, they were chased by police for about 15 blocks before the car stopped and the men fled on foot.

Nichols said he was too big to run, so he stopped. Police used a stun gun on him and he was arrested. Adzemovic jumped a fence and was caught by another officer.

Officers found latex gloves, two motorcycle helmets, a shotgun and shells, and two bags of high-grade marijuana in Adzemovic’s car.

Kennedy and Johnson would not talk to officers.

The four men are being held at the Clay County Jail.

Readers can reach Forum reporter

Wendy Reuer at (701) 241-5530