« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum staff reports, Published August 09 2013

Moorhead probes of Sunday fires leaves one still undetermined

MOORHEAD – After completing investigations into a pair of fires that occurred in Moorhead on Sunday, the Fire Department says overheated extension cords caused one blaze, but a cause could not be found for the other fire.

Moorhead Fire Chief Rich Duysen said in a written release that a house fire at 3806 Village Green Drive started in the garage, with the cause determined to be electrical.

He said overheated electrical wires from a series of extension cords and power strips plugged into a single circuit powering multiple battery chargers were to blame.

The damage estimate in that fire is currently $105,000.

Duysen said the cause of a fire at 1703 33rd St. S. is currently listed as undetermined.

He said the fire started in the garage and spread to the attic area. There is heavy fire damage to the attached garage structure and moderate smoke damage throughout the home. The initial damage estimate is $85,000

Duysen said the electrical fire is an example of how circuit breakers are not always enough to prevent a fire if multiple appliances are plugged into a single receptacle.