« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Associated Press , Published July 23 2013

Witness told FBI man planned Montevideo, Minn., police attack

ST. PAUL — An FBI agent testified Tuesday that a witness said a western Minnesota man was involved in an alleged plot to bomb the Montevideo police station.

FBI special agent Shane Ball testified the witness said Buford "Bucky" Rogers, 24, also was planning to attack a communications tower and a National Guard armory.

The testimony came in a federal court hearing for Rogers, who was indicted on illegal weapons charges last month after a raid on his father's mobile home outside Montevideo.

Buford Rogers was arrested May 3 in what the FBI called "a terror plot." However, three weeks later a federal grand jury did not indict Rogers on terrorism charges. He was indicted on four felony counts, including being a felon in possession of a firearm and three counts of possessing "unregistered destructive devices." The devices included two Molotov cocktails, two "black powder nail devices" and a pipe bomb. He has pleaded not guilty.

In court Tuesday, Ball testified that a witness went to the police department in San Antonio, Texas, in late April and said Buford Rogers was planning three attacks. After the witness was interviewed by the FBI, federal agents raided the home of Rogers' parents, where the weapons were found.

The witness also said that Buford Rogers cheered the Boston Marathon bombing, which had happened three weeks before his arrest, according to the FBI agent.

Rogers' federal defender did not immediately return a phone message for comment Tuesday. But the Star Tribune (http://bit.ly/1dSUgfB) reports Rogers' father, Jeffrey, who attended the court hearing along with Rogers' mother, brother and fiancee, said the witness was "lying through his teeth."

Jeffrey Rogers said the witness, whom he did not name, had previously lived with the family.

U.S. Magistrate Jeanne Graham also ordered the unsealing of six documents in the case at the request of the Star Tribune. Graham sealed the documents July 11 at the request of Rogers' defense attorney, Andrew Mohring. But on Tuesday she said she found the arguments to seal the documents "not sufficient."

___

Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.