« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Emily Welker, Published July 14 2013

South Fargo fire causes $25,000 in damage

FARGO – A fire caused by the electrical system of a three-unit apartment building here early Sunday morning caused about $25,000 worth of damage, according to Fargo fire officials.

Fargo firefighters responded to a call at 7:10 Sunday morning from a family living in the main floor unit of the building at 702 21 St. S., saying they had smelled smoke and called 911.

Fargo Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Larry Schuh said firefighters extinguished the fire quickly, and damage was limited to the outside rear of the building.

Schuh said the main electrical system of the house was damaged, along with the rear entry and small deck of the building, which had originally been built as a single-family home.

The remaining two units of the building were vacant, and the family who lived in the building, two adults and a child, escaped without injury.

Schuh said the fire was listed as accidental in nature, and the cause as electrical.

Xcel Energy was called in to disconnect the electricity from the building.


Readers can reach Forum reporter Emily Welker at (701) 241-5541