Forum staff reports, Published July 06 2013
Dilworth man loses two fingers in fireworks accidentVERGAS, Minn. – A Dilworth man lost two fingers in a fireworks accident Friday, according to a release from the Otter Tail County Sherriff’s Office.
Jason Holweger, 25, was reloading a two-inch wide cannon-style firework around 10:30 p.m. Friday night near Vergas. While he was lighting a fuse, it exploded in his hand. He lost two fingers on his right hand as a result of the explosion.
Vergas Rescue responded initially before Holweger was transferred to Perham Ambulance. His location and condition are not known at this time.
Cannon fireworks, like the one in this incident, are illegal in Minnesota, an Otter Tail County Sheriff’s Office representative said Saturday.