« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Amy Forliti, Associated Press , Published June 13 2013

Minn. man pleads guilty in 2012 motel shooting, rapes

MINNEAPOLIS — A man accused of holding 11 people hostage and raping four teenage girls at gunpoint during a party in a suburban motel room pleaded guilty Thursday to four felonies, including attempted murder.

Demetrius Ballinger, 26, of Stillwater, pleaded guilty to one count of intentional second-degree attempted murder and four counts of rape in connection with the Aug. 31 incident, which led to an hours-long standoff with Woodbury police. Authorities say when one man tried to leave, Ballinger fired at him. That man was fatally shot by police.

Ballinger faces about 36 years in prison when sentenced in October, Washington County Attorney Pete Orput said.

“We are pleased to be able to bring some closure for the victims of this defendant's heinous acts,” Orput said in a statement. “While he will be serving a huge amount of time in prison, it cannot begin to recompense the harm he has caused.”

Ballinger was initially charged with 27 felonies. His attorney did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.

According to the complaint, Ballinger, five other adults and six juveniles were in a room at the Red Roof Inn in Woodbury, when at one point, Ballinger became frustrated and pulled out a gun, threatening to shoot everyone and ordering them to hand over their money and cellphones. One of the females dialed 911 as she threw her phone on the floor — creating an open line for dispatchers.

Police arrived and saw Ballinger had a gun. The complaint said one of the hostages, 19-year-old Mark Eric Henderson of St. Paul, saw a chance to leave the room, and as he did, Ballinger shot at him. Officers heard a gunshot as the door opened and they fired, believing Henderson was armed. He was not, and died at a local hospital. The officers were cleared of wrong-doing.

Shortly after Henderson left, Ballinger ordered the teenage girls into the bathroom. He then sodomized a 15-year-old and raped three 16-year-olds at gunpoint. The complaint said he admitted to police that he raped the teens because he knew he'd be arrested so he “might as well get some.”

Copyright © 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.