Associated Press, Published June 02 2013
10 ways 'All in the Family' tested Edith
• A breast cancer scare that she tried to hide from the family.
• An intruder's attempted sexual assault, which she thwarted with a hot cake to his face.
• Fiery clashes between her liberal cousin Maude (Bea Arthur) and conservative Archie (Carroll O'Connor).
• The mood swings of menopause, which prompted her to turn the tables on Archie and tell him to “stifle!”
• Fretting that she was a kleptomaniac after absent-mindedly taking a wig from a store.
• A confrontation with Archie over his broken promise to give up gambling.
• Enduring a test of faith after a female-impersonator friend is murdered.
• The discovery that Archie was pursuing an extramarital affair.
• Losing her job after helping a woman fulfill her right-to-die wish.
• A stroke that led to Edith's off-camera death after Stapleton decided to move on.