Published May 27 2013
Summer bucket list: Plenty of local events to enjoy
Looking for live music? The Avett Brothers, O.A.R. and many more will all hit the area’s various stages this summer. And that’s not to mention the big music festivals, like WE Fest in Detroit Lakes, Minn., fresh off its 30th anniversary with some big headliners.
Looking for small-town, family-friendly fun? There are plenty of those events too, such as Davenport (N.D.) Days, Turtle Fest in Perham Minn., Aber Days in Abercrombie, N.D., and many more throughout summer.
How about food? Happy Harry’s RibFest, the Red River Valley Fair and Fargo Downtown Street Fair all offer plenty of opportunities.
To help you plan out your next few months, we compiled a list of noteworthy summer events in the Fargo-Moorhead area and beyond.
We weren’t able to fit everything into the list, like weekly or monthly events. So be sure to check The Forum’s weekly Sunday calendar, or the online calendar at www.inforum.com, for more information about popular regulars like Minnesota State University Moorhead’s Straw Hat Players Summer Theatre (June 4-7, 11-14, 18-21, 25-28 and July 9-12, 18-19 and 23-26), the Corks & Canvas Art and Wine Walk and Moorhead’s Bike Night (Thursdays June 13, July 11, Aug. 8 and Sept. 12), Cruisin’ Broadway (Thursdays June 6, Aug. 1, Sept. 5) and West Fargo Cruise Night (Thursdays June 20, July 18, Aug. 15 and Sept. 19).
Now, get out there and enjoy all the area has to offer this summer.
• 5-8: Happy Harry’s RibFest, Fargodome, 1800 North University Drive, Fargo; with headliners Sugar Ray, Blue Oyster Cult, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Gloriana; free admission from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., otherwise $5 admission and $3 parking. www.fargoribfest.com or (701) 241-9100.
• 8: Davenport Days in Davenport, N.D.; craft show, food vendors, kids events, parade, demo derby and more. (701) 730-0678.
• 9: Classical Music Festival, 1-6 p.m., Rheault Farm, 2902 25th St. S., Fargo; performances by F-M Symphony, Jazz Inc. Big Band and more; free. http://fargoparks.com or (701) 499-7788.
• 14: Midwest Kidfest and Teddy Bear Parade, parade starts at 10:30 a.m., Kidfest runs 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Island Park, 302 7th St. S., Fargo; educational booths, carnival games, entertainment stages and more. http://fargoparks.com or (701) 499-7788.
• 15-23: Turtle Fest, Perham, Minn.; all-day events including medallion hunts, food vendors, parade, street dance, turtle races and more. www.perham.com or (218) 346-7710.
• 19: Wild West Jamboree, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Rendezvous Park, 1055 32nd Ave. W., West Fargo; music by Silverado, free carriage rides, petting zoo, Western games and more; free. wfparks.org or (701) 433-5360.
• 21-23: Aber Days, Abercrombie, N.D.; all day events include talent show, 5k race, flea market, parade, rodeo, street dance and more. (701) 553-8743.
• 25: RiverArts, 5:30-8 p.m., Memorial Park, 210 8th St. N., Moorhead; outdoor concert by Penny and Pals, fishing clinic, horse-drawn carriage rides, food, games and more. www.moorheadparks.com.
• 26: O.A.R., 7 p.m., Imagine Theatre at Bluestem Center for the Arts, 801 50th Ave. S., Moorhead; general admission all-ages tickets range from $22.50 to $45.50. www.jadepresents.com. (866) 300-8300.
• 28-29: Midwest Viking and Scandinavian Hjemkomst festivals, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Hjemkomst Center, 202 1st Ave. N., Moorhead; events include music, living history and more; tickets cost $10 for adults and $5 for youth. www.hcscconline.org or (218) 299-5511.
• 3: Barenaked Ladies, Guster and Boothby Graffoe, 5 p.m., Newman Outdoor Field, 1515 15th Ave. N., Fargo; general admission tickets cost $35, or $99 for four-pack. www.jadepresents.com. (866) 300-8300.
• 9-14: Red River Valley Fair, Red River Valley Fairgrounds, West Fargo; gates open at 11 a.m. day for ag exhibits, food and rides; music includes Sevendust, Hunter Hayes, the Band Perry and more; daily gate admission is $8 for adults, $4 for children and free for children 5 and younger, free gate admission weekdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. www.redrivervalleyfair.com or (701) 282-2200.
• 11: The Avett Brothers, 6 p.m., The Venue at The Hub, 2525 9th Ave. S., Fargo; all-ages general admission tickets are $36.50 in advance and $41.50 the day of the show. www.jadepresents.com. (866) 300-8300.
• 11-14: Clay County Fair, Barnesville, Minn.; 100th anniversary; www.co.clay.mn.us.
• 12-21: Northwest Water Carnival, Detroit Lakes, Minn.; all-day events include the Miss Northwest Pageant, live music on the beach, parade and more. www.visitdetroitlakes.com/events, or (218) 234-3229.
• 13: Phelps Mill Festival, 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., park is located on Country Road 45 near Underwood, Minn.; admission is $3 for adults, and free for children 12 and younger; free parking; food, arts and crafts, music and entertainment.
• 17-20: Moondance Jam, Walker, Minn.; music includes Cheap Trick, Motley Crue, Bachman & Turner and more; tickets range from $40-$1,795. www.moondancejam.com or (877) 666-6526.
• 16-21: “Oklahoma!”, 7 p.m., 1 p.m. on July 21, Frances Frazier Comstock Theatre, Concordia College, Moorhead; presented by the Gooseberry Park Players; tickets are $12 for adults and $6 for children 12 and younger. www.gooseberryparkplayers.org or (218) 299-3314.
• 18-20: “Shrek: The Musical,” 8:30 p.m., Imagine Theatre, 801 50th Ave. S., Moorhead; based on the Oscar-winning film; also runs July 24-27 and July 31-Aug. 3. www.trollwood.org or (218) 477-6502.
• 18-20: Fargo Downtown Street Fair, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, downtown Fargo; www.downtownfargo.com.
• 18: Watermelon Festival, 2-4 p.m., Gooseberry Park large shelter, 100 22nd Ave. S., Moorhead; fresh watermelon while supplies last; games and other activities; free. www.moorheadparks.com or (218) 299-5340.
• 21: German Folk Festival, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Rheault Farm, 2902 25th St. S., Fargo; German music, German-American stage performances, German food and more; free. fargoparks.com or (701) 499-7788.
• 22-28: Loco Daze, Dilworth; all-day events include picnic, music, pool parties, downtown jamboree, parade and more; www.locodaze.org.
• 25-28: Summerfest, Casselton, N.D.; all-day events include variety show, supper and social, carnival games, steak fry and more; www.casselton.com.
• 26-28: Turkey Days, Frazee, Minn.; plenty of all-day turkey-related events. (218) 850-0126.
• 30: Dwight Yoakam; 8 p.m., Imagine Theatre at Bluestem Center for the Arts, 801 50th Ave. S., Moorhead; tickets from $29.50 to $59.50. www.jadepresents.com. (866) 300-8300.
• 1-3: WE Fest, Soo Pass Ranch, Detroit Lakes, Minn.; headliners are Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood and Eric Church; three-day music-only general admission tickets are $139; other camping and music packages available. www.wefest.com or (800) 493-3378.
• 8-11: Looney Daze, Vergas, Minn.; events include garage sales, street fair and more. (218) 342-2589.
• 8-11: F-M Pride Week; events include bowling, Pride in the Park at Gooseberry Park in Moorhead, block party at Usher’s House in Moorhead, parade, rally and more; www.pridecollective.com.
• 16-17: Fargo Blues Festival, 2 p.m., Newman Outdoor Field, 1515 15th Ave. N., Fargo;, with music by Charlie Musselwhite, Walter Trout and more; tickets are $30 for both nights or $23 for one night; tickets at Happy Harrys. www.fargobluesfest.com or (218) 287-7775.
• 16-18: Turkey BBQ Days, Ulen, Minn.; 5k run, street fair, car show, turkey barbecue and more. www.ulenmn.com or (218) 596-8849.
• 17: Reinventing Radio: An evening with Ira Glass, 7:30 p.m., Bluestem Center for the Arts, 801 50th Ave. S., Moorhead; gates open at 6:30 p.m. and show starts at 7:30 p.m.; tickets range from $22 to $99.50. www.jadepresents.com. (866) 300-8300.
• 24-25: Island Park Arts and Crafts Show, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday, Island Park, 302 7th St. S., Fargo; food, music and craft vendors; free. fargoparks.com or (701) 499-7788.
• 30-Sept. 2: Western Minnesota Steam Thresher’s Reunion, Rollag, Minn.; 60th anniversary show; www.rollag.com.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Sam Benshoof at (701) 241-5535