Published May 25 2013
Memorial Day observances
• Fargo: Veterans will assemble at 8:20 a.m. at Holy Cross North Cemetery, 1502 32nd Ave. N. A salute to veterans will begin at 8:30 a.m.
A Memorial Day Mass hosted by Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church will follow at 9 a.m. Attendees are encouraged to bring a lawn chair. In case of rain, the service will be held in St. Mary’s Cathedral, 619 7th St. N.
At 9:30 a.m., veterans will assemble at Veterans Memorial Bridge. A ceremony will begin at 9:45 a.m.
At 10:30 a.m., veterans will assemble at Riverside Cemetery, 2102 5th St. S. A ceremony will begin at 11 a.m.
At 12:30 p.m., veterans will again gather for a ceremony at Sunset Memorial Gardens Cemetery, 1715 52nd Ave. S.
American Legion Post 400 Commander Calie Craddock will speak at the Riverside and Sunset ceremonies. In the event of rain at 8:30 a.m., both will be at the Civic Center.
• West Fargo: A flag-raising ceremony is scheduled at 10:45 a.m. at the West Fargo VFW. A program will follow at 11 a.m. Jim Hapala, past state commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Department of North Dakota and past grand commander of the Military Order of the Cooties, will speak. The ladies auxiliary will serve a lunch of scalloped potatoes and ham. A small fee will be charged for lunch.
• Moorhead and Dilworth: The Moorhead American Legion and Dilworth VFW Post 1223 Color Guards have scheduled services at the following times and locations: Veterans Memorial Bridge, 7 a.m.; Sunset Memorial Gardens, Moorhead, 8:45 a.m.; Sabin (Minn.) cemeteries, 9:15 a.m.; Evergreen Cemetery, Moorhead, 10 a.m.; St. Joseph Cemetery North, Moorhead, 10:15 a.m.; and Riverside Cemetery North, Moorhead, 10:30 a.m. A program will begin at 11 a.m. at the National Guard Armory, 1002 15th Ave. N., Moorhead. Lt. Col. Brian Melton of the Minnesota Army National Guard Brigade and Clay County attorney will deliver the address.
• Horace, N.D.: The Horace American Legion Post 293 will host services at the following cemeteries: 9:05 a.m., Clemenson; 9:30 a.m., St. Benedict; 9:50 a.m., Hickson Red River; 11 a.m., Horace; 11:15 a.m., Sheyenne River; 11:30 a.m., St. John; and 11:45 a.m., Brink. A potluck lunch will be served at noon in the Horace Senior Center. In case of rain, the program will be at 11:30 a.m. in the senior center. For more information, call Russell Berg at (701) 261-1973.
• Leonard, N.D.: The American Legion Color Guard from Percy G. Carter Post 221 in Sheldon, N.D., will salute veterans during a program at 10 a.m. in Helendale Cemetery near Leonard. Refreshments will follow.
• Harwood, N.D.: Harwood American Legion Post 297 and Gardner American Legion Post 132 will honor veterans at 10 a.m. in Oakwood Cemetery in Harwood. A free luncheon and presentation will follow at the Harwood Legion courtesy of the Auxiliary Units.
• Barnesville, Minn.: There will be a parade at 10 a.m., followed by a program at 10:30 a.m. in McGrath Park. Louis Kamrowski will deliver the keynote speech and Clifford Langerud will provide special music. In case of inclement weather, the program will be in the Barnesville High School gymnasium. A luncheon will follow at VFW Post 4628.
• Glyndon, Minn.: A service will begin at 10 a.m. in the Concordia Church, 6637 80th Ave. N. A veteran tribute will follow in the cemetery. Lunch will be served after the service.