Published May 25 2013
Namedroppers - 05/26/13NDSU NEWS: Austen Strom, son of Brad Strom and Sheri Strom, Fargo, has been awarded a $1,000 North Dakota State University Development Foundation Honor Scholarship in recognition of high academic achievement.
CONCORDIA NEWS: Several area students will take part in study abroad programs through Global Learning at Concordia. Students, hometowns and area of visit are as follows:
- Battle Lake, Minn.: Will Merickel, China.
- Breckenridge, Minn.: Kjerstin Engebretson, London; Laura Radig, East Africa; Regan Whitney, South Africa, Amsterdam and London.
- Detroit Lakes, Minn.: Kristi Hoppert, Greece.
- Fergus Falls, Minn.: Daniel Schneck, London, Cairo, Athens, Rome, Florence and Paris; Jennifer Swenson, London.
- Fertile, Minn.: Angela Christian, London.
- Moorhead: Jamie Cary, Greece; Amanda Dahlseng, Greece; Marissa Johnson, London; Erica Jossund, South Africa, Amsterdam and London; Courtney Kappes, Greece; Colleen Kelly, Greece; Brienna Lamb, Greek Islands; Elise Wright, London, Cairo, Athens, Rome, Florence and Paris.
- Pelican Rapids, Minn.: Spencer Livdahl, Greece.
- Wadena, Minn.: Elena Roggenkamp, Germany.
- Waubun, Minn.: Aimee Smith, Greece.
- Devils Lake, N.D.: Benjamin Wolf, Athens, Delphi, Sorrento, Florence and Rome.
- Fargo: Cathryn Erbele, London; Miranda Jensen, China; Alex Mitchell, East Africa; Kellen Summers, Athens, Delphi, Sorrento, Florence and Rome; Hannah Winge, London, Cairo, Athens, Rome, Florence and Paris; David Wolfe, South Africa, Amsterdam and London.
- Horace: Joseph Bjornson, London, Cairo, Athens, Rome, Florence and Paris.
- West Fargo: Rebecca Asheim, South Africa, Amsterdam and London.
AWARDS AND OTHER RECOGNITIONS: Ben Franklin Middle School student Jessica McKee (pictured above) recently won first place for her essay in the Invest Write competition at the North Dakota Security’s Stock Market Game competition. Essays were to predict what would happen to a selected stock’s share price, given an event selected by the writer occurred. Writers supported their opinions with historical evidence and research. McKee was instructed by her mathematics teacher, Jim Schultz.
MSUM NEWS: Minnesota State University Moorhead has awarded academic scholarships to the following area students: Eunji Park, child of Sanghwan Park and Eunhi Aun, Moorhead, $6,000 Dragon Scholarship; Molly Hagen, child of Larry and Debi Hagen, Moorhead, $500 Upper Class Scholarship; Kelsey Sayler, child of Sherri Nelson and Julius Sayler, Devils Lake, N.D., $500 Upper Class Scholarship; and Rebekah Ronningen, child of Jenenne Guffy and John Ronningen, Fargo, $5,000 Upperclass Honors Apprentice Scholarship.
TWIRLING NEWS: Members of the YMCA of Cass Clay Silver Baton Twirlers recently placed in contests held in Omaha, Neb., and Minneapolis.
In Omaha, Kaycee Froysland, 15, of Fargo placed second in two baton twirling and modeling and third in solo twirling.
In Minneapolis, Rachel Green, 14, of Fargo, placed second in modeling, marching and solo twirling. Jessica Green, 10, of Fargo, placed first in marching and solo twirling.
SCHOLARSHIPS AND GRANTS: The Cass County Area Retired Teachers Association has awarded $1,000 scholarships in the field of education to the following students: Britta Barta, Minnesota State University Moorhead, and Courtney Leier, Concordia College, both Ethel R. Hanson Scholarships; Taylor Lammers, Jamestown (N.D.) College, Don Papke Memorial Scholarship; and Andy Landburg, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, Riger and Mary Hoffmann Family Scholarship.
The Minnesota Kindergarten Association has awarded Concordia College student Alicia Schroeder a $500 Ann Allen Minnesota Kindergarten Association Scholarship. The scholarship is awarded to college students seeking certification to teach kindergarten.
Wallwork Truck Center and Ford has awarded Riley Rustad, son of Kelly and Tina Rustad, Kindred, N.D., a $1,000 built Ford Tough FFA Scholarship.
“Namedroppers” is an occasional Sunday column featuring neighborhood and community news. Contact Angie Wieck at (701) 241-5501 or email her at email@example.com to find out how to submit your news and accomplishments.