« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Eric Peterson, Published May 09 2013

Pablo Garza takes break after UFC release

FARGO – Pablo Garza was released from the UFC earlier this week, but that doesn’t mean the mixed martial arts fighter, who trains in Fargo, is ready to bail on his career.

Garza, however, will take a break from competition. He’s just not sure how long.

“Competing at this level is really demanding,” said Garza, who is 29 years old. “To stay at that level is almost harder than it is to get there in the first place.”

Garza had six fights in the UFC, the largest mixed martials are promotion in the world, and posted a 3-3 record.

Since his release from the UFC, Garza said he’s been contacted by multiple MMA promotions, but he will at least take the summer off from competition.

Garza will continue to train and also coach various fighting disciplines at the Academy of Combat Arts. The ACA was Garza’s home gym when he was competing in the UFC.

“I think this is a good time to spread my knowledge to my teammates,” Garza said.

Garza won the first ever featherweight fight in the UFC, knocking out Fredson Paixao with a flying knee. Garza also won his second UFC fight with a spectacular flying triangle choke submission against Yves Jabouin.

Garza had dropped three of his past four fights in the UFC. Garza lost to Diego Brandao on April 6, which was Garza’s more recent fight. Brandao scored a first-round submission to earn the victory.

“I feel like I have done a lot and accomplished a lot,” Garza said. “That’s why it’s so crazy right now. You have to win to be in the UFC.”


Readers can reach Forum reporter

Eric Peterson at (701) 241-5513.

Peterson’s blog can be found

at peterson.areavoices.com