« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Jack Fuller, West Fargo, Published April 13 2013

Letter: Apartment owner has responsibility

Here it comes again. Smoking material in an apartment causes the deaths of Jesse Daniel Madson and his girlfriend, Angela Wentz.

Every year, we read of two or three apartment fires in our area caused by smoking. They are usually the result of improperly extinguished cigarettes on apartment balconies. Yes, the warning goes out on how to properly dispose of cigarette butts, yet it keeps happening.

Apartment building owners, does this not raise your insurance rates? If not, it should. Apartment housing should be made smoke-free. Tell your tenants and any new tenants that this is a smoke-free establishment, and enforce it. Why should their lives be in jeopardy or their apartments lost due to smoke and fire from a careless smoker? Discrimination, you say? Why is that any different than “no pets allowed”?

Or is it the old “rights” thing? Well, that ship has sailed. Your tenants have the right to safe housing, and you have the obligation to assure it.