Associated Press, Published March 09 2013
Lake Region Arts Council awards $83K in Legacy GrantsFERGUS FALLS, Minn. – The Lake Region Arts Council has awarded $83,126 in Legacy Grants to the following area Minnesota organizations:
• Historical and Cultural Society of Clay County, Moorhead: $7,630 to host a German Culture Day event.
• Nordic Culture Club, Moorhead: $6,000 to sponsor two new performing groups at the Scandinavian Hjemkomst Festival.
• Minnesota State University Moorhead: $7,550 to fund full scholarships for 45 students to attend College for Kids and to purchase supplies for new art courses.
• Detroit Lakes Community & Cultural Center: $16,736 to incorporate art in the renovation of their public spaces.
• Center for the Arts, Fergus Falls: $21,820 to expand their 2014 season with artist residencies and public workshops for all seven performances.
• Fergus Falls Public Schools: $9,990 to sponsor a three-day artist residency by The Copper Street Brass Quintet.
• Theatre L’Homme Dieu, Alexandria: $9,990 for technical upgrades to the theater, including lighting cables and projection equipment.
• Central Square, Glenwood: $3,500 to sponsor “Northern Gail” for a Scottish “ceilidh” event featuring community celebration with music, dance and a meal.
Since January 2010, LRAC has awarded 98 applicants for a total of $815,432. Minnesota’s Legacy Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund is made possible with money from an appropriation by the Minnesota State Legislature, from the vote of the people of Minnesota in 2008.
Proceeds from the Legacy fund may be spent on arts access and arts education and to preserve Minnesota’s history and cultural heritage.
The fund is intended to create a strong arts legacy in Minnesota and will exist for a period of 25 years.