« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum News Service, Published February 13 2013

Smoking ruled as cause of polka-dot house fire in Grand Forks

GRAND FORKS - The Saturday night fire at Grand Forks' well-known polka-dot house was caused by smoking materials in an upstairs room, the fire department said Wednesday. A person injured in the fire also was transported to Regions Hospital in St. Paul, officials said.

Firefighters were dispatched at 10:48 p.m. Saturday to the house at 523 University Ave., which garnered some notoriety last year when its owner painted the house with polka dots.

The fire is being ruled as accidental, caused by the improper use of smoking materials in a second-floor sleeping room.

The house has five sleeping rooms and one full apartment. Most of the tenants were alerted by the sounding smoke detectors and were able to exit the building prior to the arrival of the fire department. One person had to be removed from the house and was taken to the hospital.

John Rodney Dillon Davis, 40, was transferred to Regions Hospital in St. Paul with undisclosed injuries. No information was given by the hospital when reached Wednesday afternoon.