« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Published December 29 2012

Cass jail goes into lockdown after dryer fire

FARGO – A dryer in the laundry room of the Cass County Jail overheated this afternoon, causing a fire that prompted the jail to go into lockdown for a time.

When the fire started about 3:30 p.m., there were two prisoners working in the laundry and 14 in a nearby room, according to Sgt. Tara Morris of the Cass County Sheriff’s Office.

The prisoners were taken to another area where they were secured, and other inmates in the jail were placed in their cells while jail staff battled the fire with fire extinguishers, Morris said

The fire was largely out when firefighters arrived and they set about taking care of smoldering areas, Morris said.

She said fans were used to clear the smoke away.

The dryer that overheated had been causing trouble for some time and had recently been worked on by a repair crew, according to Morris, who said no one was injured in the incident.