Fred Farber, Fargo, Published November 21 2012
Letter: Pardon turkeys for ThanksgivingWith his recent re-election, President Barack Obama has won the power to pardon more turkeys on Thanksgiving. But so does every one of us by choosing a nonviolent Thanksgiving observance that gives thanks for our good fortune, health and happiness with a life-affirming, cruelty-free feast of vegetables, fruits and grains.
And here are more terrific reasons:
• You will stay alert through the entire football game.
• Your vegetarian kid won’t have to boycott the family dinner.
• You won’t have to call Poultry Hotline to keep your family alive.
• Fruits and vegetables don’t have to carry government warning labels.
• You won’t spend a sleepless night wondering how the turkey lived and died.
Our own dinner this Thanksgiving will feature a “Tofurky,” lentil roast, mashed potatoes, corn stuffing, stuffed squash, candied yams, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. An Internet search on “vegetarian Thanksgiving” got us more recipes and other useful information than we could possibly use.