Published November 09 2012
Veterans Day events planned in F-M areaSeveral events are planned Sunday in observance of Veterans Day:
• The Vietnam Veterans of American Chapter 941 will hold a ceremony at 9 a.m. at the Veterans Memorial Bridge.
• Veterans organizations will gather at 10:30 a.m. in Fargo’s Great Northern Depot parking lot on the corner of Fourth Avenue North and Fifth Street. They will proceed to the Civic Center, where a flag-raising ceremony and program is slated at 10:55 a.m. Welcoming remarks will be given by U.S. Sen. John Hoeven, Fargo Mayor Dennis Walaker and Dilworth Mayor Chad Olson. The keynote address will be given by American Legion Commander Dave Rice.
• American Legion Post 2 will serve a free stew lunch at noon in the Legacy Hall. The lunch is open to all ages, and freewill donations will be accepted. The Red River Valley Veterans Band is slated to perform at 12:30 p.m. At 3 p.m., Theatre B will present “ReEntry: A Play about Coming Home.” The play, which is based on interviews with Marines and their families, is described as an unflinching look at the lives of Marines preparing for and returning home from deployment.
• The West Fargo VFW Post 7564, Ladies Auxiliary and AMVETS Post 8 ceremonies will begin at 11 a.m. with a flag-raising ceremony in front of the VFW located on Sheyenne Street. A program and a 21-gun salute will follow. A stew dinner will be served later in the day.
• The Moorhead American Legion will serve stew at noon. A meat raffle is planned for 1 p.m., and the Red River Valley Veterans Concert Band will perform at 3 p.m.
• The Fargo VFW Post #762 will serve stew at noon and the Red River Valley Veterans Concert Band will perform at 1:30 p.m.
• The Harwood American Legion will be open from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Free stew will be served at 3 p.m.
• AMVET Post No. 7 will host lunch at 1 p.m. and other festivities throughout the day.
• The Fargo Veterans Affairs Health Care System, in conjunction will the AMVET’s Post No. 7, will host a program at 2 p.m. in the third-floor auditorium of the center. Sen. John Hoeven will deliver the keynote address and a reception will follow.
• The Dilworth VFW Post will serve mulligan stew at 3:30 p.m. A special bingo program will be held at 4 p.m.
• The Kindred (N.D.) Elementary School will host an annual “God Bless America” program at 7 p.m. All veterans will be introduced, and World War II veterans will be honored. The Kindred third- and fourth-grade children will also present a musical tribute. For more information, call Janice Rustad at (701) 371-0976.
The following organizations are offering free admission or free meals to veterans Sunday:
• The Hjemkomst Center will offer free admission to veterans from noon to 5 p.m.
• The Red River Zoo will offer free admission to all active duty military and veterans. Visitors must show a military or veterans organization ID or other official military ID to receive free admission.
• Sam’s Club associates will serve a free breakfast of pancakes, eggs, sausage and bakery items to veterans, active-duty military and their families from 8 to 10:30 a.m. Sunday at the store located at 4831 13th Ave. S. in Fargo.
• The Fargo Air Museum will host a Veterans Day program at 2 and 7 p.m. Kay Nehring will present the story of her father, Lt. Charles J. Nehring, who went from selling shoes in North Dakota to dropping paratroopers on Corregidor in the Philippines.
He served with the 39th Squadron of the 317th Troop Carrier Group from 1942 to 1945 and shot rare 16mm color film of his daily activities and flights.
His daughter will share the film, which also was shown on the History Channel’s History Film Corp. Project, “From Farm to Flyer,” read some of his letters and show some of his personal artifacts.
Admission is free for veterans and museum members. For more information, call (701) 298-8043 or log on to www.fargoairmuseum.org.
• Park Christian School invites active duty military and veterans to chapel in their honor from 8:10 to 8:50 a.m. Monday in the school gymnasium. The event will feature patriotic music and readings presented by the Park Christian High School choir and band.
• Breckenridge High School will hold a Veterans Day program from 9:30 to 11 a.m. Monday in the school gymnasium. Guest speakers will include Mel Walker and Nick Lampos, pilots who flew the Cobra helicopter in the Vietnam War. The event will also feature patriotic music and the Marine and Wilkin County Honor Guards.
• Fargo’s Texas Roadhouse, 4971 13th Ave. S., is offering a free lunch for veterans and active members of U.S. military from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday.