Tracy Briggs, Published October 24 2012
The Great Indoors: How to make Halloween eyeballs
I was intrigued, and with Halloween coming up I felt like living on the edge.
These eyeballs aren’t that macabre. In fact, they’re a lot like the Oreo truffles your Grandma Judy might bring to the church potluck.
But Josh makes it extra fun with some goofy touches like blue and green pupils and even a little red icing to make the eyeballs appear a little bloodshot.
Enjoy – if you dare.
Haunted Halloween Eyeballs
1 package of Oreos (regular or double stuff is fine)
1 softened package of cream cheese
1 bag of white chocolate chips
Decorating Frosting in the following colors: black, blue, green and red
1. Using a food processor, crush up package of Oreos (minus three Oreos that should be eaten directly out of the package).
2. After the Oreos are completely crushed and about the consistency of sand, use your hands to mix with the package of softened cream cheese. The mixture will be a very thick doughy paste.
3. Roll the Oreo mixture into balls about the size of golf balls and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Place baking sheet into fridge to chill.
4. Create a double boiler by boiling water in a large pot and placing a small frying pan directly in top of pot (pan should rest on top of the pot; it will be heated by the steam). Melt the white chocolate chips in the pan. After the chocolate is completely melted, place it in a warm bowl that was heated in microwave for 30 seconds.
5. Take the Oreo balls out of fridge and dip them into the melted chocolate. Place the Oreo balls back on the baking sheet and chill in fridge 5 minutes (chilling at this point will make decorating MUCH easier).
6. Take the Oreo balls out of the fridge. Place a dot of black frosting on each one. Circle the black frosting with blue, green or red frosting. You can also use red frosting or red food coloring and a paint brush to make eye veins as well.