Published October 13 2012
Business Digest (October 13, 2012)Jerry Sander retires from U.S. Postal Service
Jerry Sander has retired from the U.S. Postal Service after 37½ years of service.
Sander began his postal career as a rural carrier associate in Hawley, Minn. He has been a rural carrier in Glyndon, Minn., for the past 28 years.
Nor-Son expands, opens office in Sioux Falls
Nor-Son, a consulting, design and construction services firm, has expanded and opened an office in Sioux Falls, S.D.
Bob Kogel was hired in the Sioux Falls office as project development manager. He has more than 30 years of design and construction project experience.
Nor-Son also has offices in Fargo, Baxter, Minn., and in the Minneapolis area.
Training offered for nonprofit boards
The Impact Foundation is offering a seminar from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 24 at the Hilton Garden Inn, Fargo, to help nonprofit board members serve strategically and effectively.
Those who serve charities, along with nonprofit directors, are encouraged to attend.
Presenter Jo DeBolt of LaPiana Consulting will discuss governance practices essential to the modern nonprofit.
Cost is $39 for nonprofit board members and $99 for executive directors and others.
For more information or to register, visit www.impactgiveback.org or call (701) 356-3133.
Grants awarded for marketing ND tourism
The North Dakota Department of Commerce Tourism Division has awarded grants to 17 North Dakota tourism entities to expand their marketing efforts.
The events marketing grant and marketing grant programs each provide a maximum of $5,000 in matching funds to promote regional events and for specific tourism marketing plans. A total of $70,500 was awarded between the two programs.
Recipients of event marketing grants include:
- Fargo Metro Sports Foundation, Fargo, 2014 U.S. Olympic curling trials.
- Babe Ruth World Series Committee, Williston, 2013 Babe Ruth Baseball World Series.
- Devils Lake Park Board, North Dakota State Pond Hockey Championship.
- Legendary Adventures New Discoveries, Medora, Maah Daah Hey 100 Bike Race.
- Garrison Area Improvement Association, Sky Fest over Fort Stevenson State Park.
- North Valley Arts Council, Grand Forks, Grand Cities Art Fest.
- Billings County Historical Society, Medora, Medora and Deadwood Wagon Trail Ride.
- Cavalier Retail and Services Association, Cavalier Motorcycle Ride-in.
- Beach Spirit of the West Committee, Spirit of the West Festival.
- Town and Country Boosters, New Leipzig, New Leipzig Oktoberfest.
Recipients of the marketing grant are:
- Bismarck-Mandan CVB for DiscoverAmerica.com – International Content Marketing Program.
- Medora CVB for Cowboy Fast Draw promotions.
- Red River Area Attractions Association, Fargo, to market events and attractions in Fargo, West Fargo and Moorhead.
- Northern Plains Botanic Garden Society, Fargo, for marketing the Japanese botanic garden.
- Wimbledon Community Museum, for marketing of the Midland Continental Depot Museum.
- Turtle Mountain Tourism Association, Bottineau, marketing the International Adventure Trail.
- Circle of Nations School, Wahpeton, marketing of Wahpeton Indian School Interpretation’s cultural tourism.
For more information about tourism grants, call (701) 328-3505 or email email@example.com.
FOX Business Network available on Cable One
Cable One in Fargo has added FOX Business Network to its digital value pack on channel 336.
The financial news channel, headquartered in New York City, features breaking news, interviews, market reports and business programming including “Imus in the Morning,” “Countdown to the Bell,” “After the Bell,” “Money with Melissa Francis,” “Lou Dobbs Tonight,” “Covuto” and “Stossel.”
Johnson new owner of auto repair business
Allen Johnson is the new owner of Fargo Automotive and Transmission, 218 Main Ave. E., West Fargo.
Johnson has more than 16 years of experience in the automotive industry.
Fargo Automotive and Transmission is a full-service auto repair business. The business is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and can be reached by calling (701) 281-0649.
Content creation topic of AAF-ND luncheon
Stephen Land, creative director at GSD&M, a full-service advertising agency in Austin, Texas, will be the featured speaker at the American Advertising Federation of North Dakota monthly meeting from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 23 at the Holiday Inn, Fargo.
Land will discuss how content creation can be effective for everything from major motion pictures to corn flakes. He’ll discuss actionable steps and dos and don’ts so everyone can create content people actively seek out.
The luncheon will be held in conjunction with Pro-Am Day, an opportunity for students from across the region to shadow local marketing professionals from all disciplines.
Admission is free for AAF-ND members, $45 for non-members and $15 for non-member students. To register, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unglued to host nonprofit day Tuesday
Unglued, 408 Broadway, Fargo, will host a nonprofit day Tuesday.
Shoppers who present a coupon for their purchase will have 40 percent of the sale contributed to Unseen Ministries of Fargo, a media and marketing nonprofit group that equips groups fighting human trafficking, ending hunger and supporting orphans with the tools they need to communicate their message and continue their work.
Coupons for the event will be available in the store. The store will be open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Tuesday and the local folk group, Pick It Up Pilgrim, will perform at 7.
For more information, contact Ashley Morken at (218) 290-2263 or visit www.ungluedmarket.com.