« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum staff reports, Published October 09 2012

VIDEO: Firefighters rescue cat; Fargo house fire blamed on unattended burning candle

FARGO – An unattended burning candle was determined to be the source of a fire that caused about $60,000 in damage to a south Fargo home and its contents this morning, according to Assistant Fire Chief LeRoy Skarloken.

The homeowner had just arrived home at 406 24th St. S. when she found smoke in the house, Fire Marshal Norm Scott said.

She called 911 at 8:57 a.m. and was able to get her two dogs out of the house but couldn’t get the cat out, he said.

Firefighters knocked the fire down in a few minutes and rescued the cat, delivering it to the woman’s arms as she stood on the sidewalk wrapped in a blanket.

One of the pets may have knocked over the burning candle in the living room area, Skarloken stated in a news release.

The house sustained some fire damage and extensive smoke damage, and its occupants won’t be able to stay there until repairs are made, the release stated. The American Red Cross is providing temporary shelter.

The Fargo Fire Department discourages the use of candles and doesn’t recommend re-entering a burning building to retrieve personal property or pets, the release stated.