« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum staff reports, Published October 02 2012

Fargo Shanley tops Fargo South in EDC boys soccer

FARGO – Entering the season, the Fargo Shanley boys soccer team was defending Eastern Dakota Conference champions two years running.

On Tuesday the Deacons extended that streak to three with a 3-1 win over Fargo South at Sid Cichy Stadium.

With the victory, Shanley clinches the East Region’s No. 1 seed at the state tournament set for Oct. 11 at Sid Cichy Stadium.

“We knew with the weather coming in we didn’t want to leave it up to Thursday,” Shanley head coach Michael Breker said.

The Deacons (13-1-1, 10-0-1 EDC) finish out the season with a match at Fargo North on Thursday and a nonconference match against Moorhead on Saturday.

Senior Matt Fulks got Shanley’s offense started early on Tuesday with a bending corner kick that got past Fargo South goalkeeper Carter Schweitzer.

“It was gorgeous,” Fulks said. “I was actually looking for A.J. (Jacobson) on the back post, but it felt great as soon as it left my foot and I knew it was going back post. I saw when Carter missed it, it was going in. It looked good.”

The Deacons had another corner kick chance that Jacobson nearly headed in late in the first half, but it deflected wide off the goal post.

“You don’t plan on that happening,” Breker said of Fulks’ goal. “When you get that wind going and you have a left footer, you swing it on net and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don’t. Fortunately for us it went in.”

While luck was with the Deacons early, the Bruins (11-2-3, 7-2-2) missed out on several scoring opportunities in the first half. South’s Isaac Kehson had two shots hit posts instead of the back of the net.

“Look at the opportunities we had in the first half,” Fargo South head coach Dean Hashbarger said. “Obviously, Shanley is a good team, so when you have your opportunities you have to be able to finish them off, and we just didn’t do it.”

A goal on a breakaway chance by Conrad Hager made it 2-0 Deacons at the 57-minute, 50-second mark.

The previous meeting between the teams resulted in a 1-1 tie and the rematch was highly anticipated.

“We have been pushing for this game for a while,” Hager said. “We tied with them at the beginning of the season. … We knew we could beat them. We just had to put it away. They are a good team.”

Kehson scored South’s lone goal at the 72:30 mark. The goal cut the Deacons’ lead in half, but Danny Bruckbauer made sure the Bruins got no closer.

The junior midfielder scored at 75:50 to restore Shanley’s two-goal cushion.

“We have been concentrating at playing a full 80-minute match and play the whole thing out,” Breker said. “Obviously, they had some opportunities. We got a little lucky that first half they didn’t finish some of those. But the second half, I thought that was a lot of us. We wanted to keep the pace of the game. … The kids on our team are just stone-cold finishers.”

FIRST HALF: 1, S, Fulks, 5:45.

SECOND HALF: 2, S, Hager, (Bruckbauer), 57:50. 3, FS, Kehson (Jo. Weiler), 72:30. 4, S, Bruckbauer, 75:50.

SAVES: FS, Schweitzer 6. S, Glogoza 7.

Readers can reach Forum reporter

Tom Mix at (701) 241-5562