« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Published October 02 2012

Fargo man faces attempted murder charge in brutal beating of ex-girlfriend

MOORHEAD – A 21-year-old Fargo man faces kidnapping and attempted murder charges after he allegedly beat his ex-girlfriend with a car jack handle, choked her and threatened to kill her if she went to police, according to documents filed in Clay County District Court.

The woman’s injuries included a broken front tooth, a ligature mark on her neck, a heavily bruised and swollen face and cuts on her face, head and neck. She also had a bite mark on her arm and spray paint on her face, the complaint states.

Mason William Seaborn was arrested Sunday at his residence in north Fargo. He was held for a short time in the Cass County Jail in Fargo before being extradited to Clay County.

He is scheduled to appear in court today, where his bail will be set.

According to the complaint, a sheriff’s deputy was called at 4:59 a.m. Sunday to a residence in Georgetown for a report of a domestic assault.

The caller said the assault may have happened about two hours earlier, but she believed she may have been unconscious for a while and had to walk for help. An ambulance crew took her to the hospital for her injuries.

The woman told authorities she had been drinking with Seaborn at a Fargo bar and had left with him and two other men. She said Seaborn became angry and broke out the back window of his pickup.

The woman and two men tried to get away from Seaborn, but he allegedly dragged the woman back into the pickup and held her head down so she couldn’t see where he was driving. She said he began punching her and hitting her with what was later determined to be a jack handle.

According to the complaint, “she felt as though if he hit her one more time, she would die.”

Seaborn then allegedly tried to strangle the woman with what authorities believe was a phone charger cord. She said he eventually calmed down and passed out, allowing her to escape. She said she walked a few miles in bare feet to the residence in Georgetown for help.

A Clay County detective went with Fargo police to Seaborn’s residence in the 1100 block of Eighth Street North. Seaborn’s mother became angry with officers for handcuffing her son, and as police placed him in a patrol car, she yelled that the woman had beaten Seaborn with a pipe, strangled him and left him for dead on the side of the road, the complaint states.

Authorities obtained a search warrant for Seaborn’s pickup, and a detective observed blood inside and outside the vehicle, the complaint states.

The charge of kidnapping to commit great bodily harm or terrorize is punishable by up to 40 years in prison and a $50,000 fine. The first-degree attempted murder charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years imprisonment.

Seaborn also is charged with one count each of first-degree assault and domestic assault by strangulation.

Have a comment to share about a story? Letters to the editor should include author’s name, address and phone number. Generally, letters should be no longer than 250 words. All letters are subject to editing. Send a letter to the editor.