Published September 22 2012
The Forum names carrier of the year
Ward had been delivering newspapers since early 2011. She graduated in May from Northern Cass High School and is a communication major at Jamestown College.
Of the 29 youth carriers eligible for the award, six were interviewed by Forum staff.
“She was the first person we interviewed, and she set the bar very high,” said Forum Publisher Bill Marcil Jr.
The carrier of the year title comes with a $2,000 scholarship. Ward said the money already is put aside for next semester’s tuition and books.
“I was really surprised by this,” she said. “Any scholarship really helps.”
While juggling her early morning carrier work, Ward was a member of the Northern Cass Student Council, stage band and swing choir, and played volleyball and basketball, ran track and was a member of the National Honor Society. She also worked as a waitress at the Hunter Café and Bakery.
“I actually still get up pretty early,” Ward said about her new life on campus in Jamestown. “It’s in my mental clock.”
Ward’s parents are Peggy and Brian Ward, Hunter.
Five runners up received a $1,000 scholarship from The Forum:
• Brandi Aranda, Hitterdal, Minn. Her parents are Tina and Oscar Aranda.
• Collin Hanson, Sheyenne, N.D. His parents are Diane and Robert Hanson.
• Allyson Krogh, West Fargo. Her parents are Darlene and Tony Krogh.
• Erin Krogh, West Fargo. Her parents are Darlene and Tony Krogh.
• Dylan Schnabel, Kulm, N.D. His parents are Florian and Sherri Schnabel.