« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum staff reports, Published September 21 2012

Apartment fire causes $120,000 in damage

FARGO – The cause of a south Fargo apartment fire on Friday could be careless disposal of smoking materials, according to a news release from the Fargo Fire Department.

The fire started on a second floor deck at 2626 Pacific Drive S. just after 2 p.m. Friday, the fire department said, and damage is estimated at $120,000.

No injuries were reported, and the fire is still under investigation.

Firefighters responded to the scene Friday after a cable installer across the street noticed smoke and flames and called 911.

Fargo Fire Marshal Norm Scott said the flames entered through the chimney chase – the metal cover on top of a chimney to keep out rain or snow – and burned up the interior of the chase. From there it spread into the attic and the space between floors.

Fire officials report that there was heavy damage to the attic, roof, floor structure and exterior wall of the building’s northwest corner. There was also moderate smoke and water damage to the first, second and third floor apartments on that side, as well as light smoke damage throughout the building.

The tenants of three involved units were unable to stay in their apartments, the release said, and the Red Cross was assisting with temporary housing.