Forum staff reports, Published September 10 2012
VIDEO: Cigarette fire causes minor damage to Concordia College apartment
Two female tenants who were home at the time smelled smoke and went outside and saw puffs of smoke coming from their deck at the college-owned Bogstad East apartment building at 617 8th St. S., Moorhead Fire Capt. Chad Stangeland said.
The cigarette hadn’t been put out all the way and was discarded in a plastic container, he said.
“Especially today with higher winds, any type of burning, that’s going to kick that up and burn and get the siding going,” he said.
The fire damaged part of the deck wall. Damage was estimated at less than $1,000.
“The critical thing on here is how early they noticed this fire, and … they kept it small because they called right away,” Stangeland said.
Fire officials recommend that smokers use metal containers for discarded cigarette butts.